PDA

View Full Version : Eye Injury Help

Paintguy
08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum, and somewhat new to keeping discus. I have 3 very healthy juveniles between 3 and 4 inches each in a 60 gallon planted hex. One of them has a swollen eye, just one eye, it looks as though it is about to pop out of its socket. I suspect it is injury, as the other 2 fish are fine, and my water is optimal. What is the best course of treatment to aid the healing process here? Thanks all.

nc0gnet0
08-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Please fill out the disease questionnaire and post pictures. Is the eye an injury or an infection (pop-eye)?

John_Nicholson
08-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Chances are it is a water quality issue and not an injury. How much water are you changing per day?

-john

Paintguy
08-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Hi thanks, looking for the place to fill out questionnaire, also can I post pics here, or do I need to post links to an external photo site?

Paintguy
08-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Hello John, thanks, if it were a water quality issue, why just one eye, and why so abruptly, and why not the other 2 discus. I keep plants for the O2 Co2 exchange, and change 15 gallons a week, every Saturday, in a 60 gallon.

Paintguy
08-13-2014, 10:58 PM
i suspect it is an injury.

Allwin
08-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Whether that one eye looks very cloudy and even the iris is not even properly visible?

nc0gnet0
08-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Hello John, thanks, if it were a water quality issue, why just one eye, and why so abruptly, and why not the other 2 discus. I keep plants for the O2 Co2 exchange, and change 15 gallons a week, every Saturday, in a 60 gallon.

Yup, most likely a water quality issue. Only fifteen gallons a week?

disease questionaire is at the very top of the page, the one that states:

BEFORE starting a new thread requesting help, please copy and paste the Disease Questionnaire and fill in the required information. This will help people give more timely and considered advice. Please click here for the Questionnaire!

Really need to see pics to tell if this is popeye, or an injured eye.

John_Nicholson
08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
You are not changing near enough water.

"I keep plants for the O2 Co2 exchange" This is a joke. In reality you would need a tank 10 times as large that was heavily planted to make a significant difference. You start changing water the fish will improve. You can bare bottom and the fish will thrive.

-john