PDA

View Full Version : A weekend away..is this ok?

judijetson
08-18-2014, 06:54 PM
I’ll be taking a short weekend vacation soon and want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly, so if you could please take a look at my outline and advise it would be really appreciated (haven’t been away more than one night so I’m a little nervous). **I will be leaving on Friday at noon-ish.

Do my usual 50% water change in the morning before I leave

Keep the tank lights off

Do a 50% water change when I return on Sunday late afternoon then feed as I normally do

Here’s where I started questioning myself, I normally do 50% water change every other day so I started to wonder…

Should I feed them the morning I’m leaving followed by the water change or no feed at all in the morning?

Tank is in the basement with no natural light, normally before bed I turn on a 7-1/2” watt light bulb so they won’t be in total darkness, should I leave this light on for them while I’m gone? The light is about 9’ away from the tank and hung at ceiling height to sort of mimic moon light.

I also have a 45 gallon community tank located on the same wall as my discus and about 3’ away, so I’m thinking I should also make sure to keep those tank lights off? *

I could turn on a table lamp also (lowest setting) if that would be best since like I said, no natural light.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

John_Nicholson
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Don't feed the day before you leave. Change water right before you leave. Have some indirect light in the room and they will be fine.

-john

Skip
08-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Water change .. before u leave...either night before or day of.. what ever fits ur schedule..

Feed dont feed.. up to u.

If ur light Is on timer.. good.. if not.. jus leave it off..

Lastly. Have fun.. dont worry.. they will be fine.

judijetson
08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Great! Thanks so much for the replies I appreciate it. I will try to relax and enjoy our trip, we're going to Lake Seneca in NY so I think all the wine trails we'll be visiting will help with the relaxing part :p

The last time we went away over night (Bruno Mars concert) I made everyone get up and on the road by 9:00 am so I could get home and check on the fish...not the most popular person on the ride home :D

farebox
08-18-2014, 07:51 PM
I've done what John and Skip said a few times before, like gone for 3-4 days, no problem upon return back home. Just wipe down tank, large WC, no food, and enjoy your trip. " All the kids will be okay -- no partying when not at home!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judijetson
08-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Lol, I hear ya! I know "they" will be fine especially since I won't even miss a water change and I know when I bought them they weren't fed prior to shipping and then not fed another 24 hours after receiving them...it's all about calming me down from all the possible what ifs :D.

I've already given them the strict "no partying" while I'm away speech, no fbw's if they misbehave!

DISCUS STU
08-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Nothing to worry about for a weekend. Like the man said, feed, don't feed. They should be fine. Enjoy.

j03yYung
08-19-2014, 01:39 AM
I’ll be taking a short weekend vacation soon and want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly, so if you could please take a look at my outline and advise it would be really appreciated (haven’t been away more than one night so I’m a little nervous). **I will be leaving on Friday at noon-ish.

Do my usual 50% water change in the morning before I leave

Keep the tank lights off

Do a 50% water change when I return on Sunday late afternoon then feed as I normally do

Here’s where I started questioning myself, I normally do 50% water change every other day so I started to wonder…

Should I feed them the morning I’m leaving followed by the water change or no feed at all in the morning?

Tank is in the basement with no natural light, normally before bed I turn on a 7-1/2” watt light bulb so they won’t be in total darkness, should I leave this light on for them while I’m gone? The light is about 9’ away from the tank and hung at ceiling height to sort of mimic moon light.

I also have a 45 gallon community tank located on the same wall as my discus and about 3’ away, so I’m thinking I should also make sure to keep those tank lights off? *

I could turn on a table lamp also (lowest setting) if that would be best since like I said, no natural light.

You're only out for a few days, you'll be fine. I was out for 2 weeks once and the tank was running on auto. All the fish were fine when I came back.

judijetson
08-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Nothing to worry about for a weekend. Like the man said, feed, don't feed. They should be fine. Enjoy.

Thank you, it is only two days, agreed they will be just fine...I'll make sure to enjoy the trip :D

judijetson
08-19-2014, 08:25 AM
You're only out for a few days, you'll be fine. I was out for 2 weeks once and the tank was running on auto. All the fish were fine when I came back.

Lol, I don't think I could have survived being away for two weeks! Good to know the fish were fine!

BODYDUB
08-19-2014, 04:10 PM
I know I l late, but this is what I do:

This is my routine for a week long trip:

Feed lightly for the 3 days leading up to the trip
Do not feed the day prior to the trip
Do a 95% w/c the day of trip
Turn off the light
Turn on a seperate light somewhere in the room
Leave
No feeding while I am gone
Wondering how my fish are doing every day I am gone
Get back and rush to my tank in suspense
Fish come to the front of the tank suspecting a feeding
Check the temp and realize everything is ok
Turn on the tank light for about an hour then feed favorite food
Do a 95% w/c the day of or after I return

The longest I have left my fish unattended was 1 week

judijetson
08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Better late than never! I'm pretty much going to do exactly everything listed, especially this part..

Wondering how my fish are doing every day I am gone
Get back and rush to my tank in suspense
Fish come to the front of the tank suspecting a feeding
Check the temp and realize everything is ok
Turn on the tank light for about an hour then feed favorite food
Do a 95% w/c the day I return

Thank god, it's only two days! But it will be good practice for longer trips. By then I will have someone to at the least check on them and the water level in the sump.

keno
08-22-2014, 03:08 PM
I go on holidays for sometimes 10 days, and they are fine, only thing I do different is set up a camera and monitor over the interwebz, if i see trouble Ill call someone for help, but have never faced that in many years.

Enjoy the holiday, discus can go weeks without eating and not a bother. (well adult fish :) )