PDA

View Full Version : feeding

bens fish
08-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Hello. I am considering changing my 90 gallon aquarium into a discus aquarium. I am currently doing my research before I jump in, but ran in to a question regarding the feeding of discus. I have read that a beef heart mix is a great staple food and that young discus should be fed around 5 times a day. My question is, should all 5 feedings ( if that is the correct amount of times to feed a day ) be the beef heart, or should I also use other foods as well?

sdrexler078
08-18-2014, 11:31 PM
I use other foods. I use flake beef heart and fdbw and I only feed 3 times a day. But I also do daily 80% water changes. Some people do smaller feedings and 5 times a day so it's up to you you could feed only beef heart just make sure they get all their vitamins in the mix

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
There are plenty of acceptable foods for discus, just make sure they are of decent quality and are fresh. I feed my grow outs three times a day and my adults twice. Some people get carried away with so called "Power" feeding, it is neither necessary or desirable imo/e.

Skip
08-19-2014, 07:26 AM
More food.. more waste. more water changes

John_Nicholson
08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I basically only feed BH. I generally overfeed but I only feed twice a day. I do change lots of water.

-john

ericNH
08-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm feeding mine like the carnivorous pigs they are.

bens fish
08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the info. I think I will change my plans and feed only 2-3 times a day. that, along with a large water change every day should keep the water clean.

DISCUS STU
08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Eventually you'll settle into your own routine. It's really about the water first and then the quality of the food. Feeding grow outs 3 times a day works. Sometimes I spoil them and feed more, they'll always eat and I don't think it hurts them. I feed everything from BH, Tetra Bits, Hikari Bio-Gold, different flakes, etc. The little guys I'm growing out now are too small for freeze dried tubifex.