PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Discus hasn't eaten in 6+ days

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 06:30 AM
As most of you probably know by now I've been dealing with 6 new beautiful discus in my 55 gallon long (with possible new tank syndrome). The smallest of the discus (3-3.5" ish) began eating alright but quickly transitioned into a state of dormancy. He is often seen at the back of the tank, darker in color, and clamped fins. It's been 6 days now since he's come up for feeding time. All of the other discus know when feeding time is, recognize when I'm about to feed them, eat like fat pigs, and go about their business like normal. He is the only one who acts timid and displays no interest in eating at all. Sometimes he is seen schooling with the rest but often times he's by himself. Cosmetically he looks great, good color (when not hiding), no fin tears or rips, and no visible bacteria. He displays no listing or floating, although occasionally he can be found "staring into the corner" of the tank.

My question: How much longer should I stick with him? I can return the little bugger any time this week for a refund or exchange - I'm less worried about the money and more worried about the overall health of the tank. How long can he continue not eating? Will he starve himself to death? If his situation begins to deteriorate, I'm afraid it'll be too fast to save him whereas right now he can probably be relocated safely.

Related: I began Kanaplex treatment of the entire tank 5 days ago for another discus who displayed external signs of bacteria growth (popeye and finrot). It has been 5 days since treatment began and the finrot fish has recovered remarkably! Almost no rot remains and the eye is clear. Original thread for that is here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115498-Right-eye-bulging-now-right-pectoral-turning-white-what-next

Here is the rest of the current situation for the small fish not eating.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

See first paragraph

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

As explained above, not eating, darkening, clamped fins.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Kanaplex for unrelated incident.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon long
6 discus 3.5 - 4" in length
6 Corys all small
1 Zebra Pleco small

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30% every 2 days, thorough gravel vacuuming

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank have been running 3 weeks
Not bare bottom (3 to 5" small rock substrate with plants)

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No.

8. Parameters and water source

- temp 83 F

- ph 6.7

- ammonia reading 0.25 to 0.50

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 0 %

- municipal water 100 % tap water, treated with Seachem Prime

- RO water 0 %

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Everything is new (within the last 3 weeks)

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/GTOAviator/20140811_132726_zps1f9cbb1c.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/GTOAviator/media/20140811_132726_zps1f9cbb1c.jpg.html)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/GTOAviator/20140812_181035_RichtoneHDR_zps6ddf1752.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/GTOAviator/media/20140812_181035_RichtoneHDR_zps6ddf1752.jpg.html)

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2014, 08:00 AM
If the first picture is the fish in question personally I would return it. If you note the forehead area this fish is showing signs of thinning out and if you note the eye to body ratio it is also stunted.

Skip
08-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Ammonia should be zero. . Up your water changes to daily. . Thats a big problem

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 11:24 AM
If I've understood the sequence of things correctly you have put some new discus in an un-cycled tank, then proceeded to treat them with kanamycin for an apparently un-related illness. Kanamycin will not be friendly to the filter!

You have to address the water quality issues before anything else, et that right and everything else will get easier.

ps after reading the thread you linked I'd be leary of taking advice from the lfs "expert", at least here we are not trying to sell you anything.

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
If the first picture is the fish in question personally I would return it. If you note the forehead area this fish is showing signs of thinning out and if you note the eye to body ratio it is also stunted.

It is. Good idea, I never thought about the size of the eye to the body but you're right - it does seem "off". I'm leaning towards the return as well.

Ammonia should be zero. . Up your water changes to daily. . Thats a big problem

Lol, at first the ammonia were zero and everyone on this forum said it was a big problem. Now they are reading 0.50 and it's a big problem. They are under control and not increasing - they have never breached 0.50 ppm and only began with the Kanaplex treatment 5 days ago. As soon as I cycle that crap out, I'm hoping they will drop back down fast - if not immediately. Anyway - this isn't the problem as ammonia was zero 6+ days ago and the fish was still acting this way (compare my previous thread to this one).

If I've understood the sequence of things correctly you have put some new discus in an un-cycled tank, then proceeded to treat them with kanamycin for an apparently un-related illness. Kanamycin will not be friendly to the filter!

You have to address the water quality issues before anything else, et that right and everything else will get easier.

ps after reading the thread you linked I'd be leary of taking advice from the lfs "expert", at least here we are not trying to sell you anything.

Yes, as you say kanamycin doesn't seem to be friendly to the filter - however it was to treat finrot and popeye which is completely relevant. Maybe my mistake was treating the entire tank instead of just the one - regardless this fish was acting this way prior to the treatment. As far as the LFS expert, it was a joke - he's a friend of mine and has been in the biz for 20 or so years. If ever there was a guy at a LFS store you actually wanted to take advice from, it's this dude - but we digress - return the fish or let him be?

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Sort the water issues would be my advice. All of the issues you have had are as a consequence of poor water and assuming the fish were of decent quality when purchased (and if they weren't why did you buy them?) had they gone into a properly setup tank with a working filter and good basic husbandry they would not have got fin rot or popeye. But what do I know? I don't have 20 years in the biz ...

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
ONE fish has finrot and he came IN with it from the LFS. I took it upon myself to save the little guy. He has been treated and appears to be doing a lot better. Let's stay OT.

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 01:51 PM
I am staying on topic. You have a series of illnesses in your tank, if we don't treat the whole, then you will be continually chasing your tail. You may not like the advice I offer, that's ok, you don't have to accept it, but if you believe that the issues are not related, then there is not much I can help you with.

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 02:58 PM
...you have a series of illnesses in your tank...

I have a series of 1 fish showing physical symptoms and 1 fish not eating in a 3 week old tank with 11 other fish. Not much history but alright.

...had they gone into a properly setup tank with a working filter and good basic husbandry....

Pretty broad statements. You assume the filter is broken and I have no idea what I'm doing with fish.

...they would not have got fin rot or popeye...

Really? You know this for a fact? An absolute certainty? Again, the fish came in with the popeye.

Keith Perkins
08-19-2014, 03:11 PM
GTO - you are getting advice from the best of the best with pcsb23, I'd suggest you spend more time trying to learn something and less being argumentative. Your fish will surely be happier in the long run.

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Actually, I'm entirely calm, just making replies :) I asked a question back at the top of the thread and so far 1 person has answered the question (thanks Second Hand Pat).

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm assuming nothing, but it is clear you want to pick a fight, so carry on if you wish. So lets look at what we have ...

You have a new tank, three weeks old - cycled with seachem stability, which I've tried - several times - it took around 6 weeks to cycle, when I cycle without and just use ammonia it takes me 42 days ... in other words I've had little success in using it.
You added fish such as corries and then some days later added a bunch more including the discus all without any form of qt - i.e. a husbandry issue.
As for history agreed not much, but three threads and 18 posts all about sick fish.
So yep I'm fairly confident that had you properly cycled the tank, bought decent quality discus (buying sick fish is just nuts imo) and exercised basic husbandry you would not have experienced the issues you have.

As I said previously you may not like the advice I give, you can choose to ignore it if you want and maybe sometimes I'm blunt. If you want to keep challenging the advice offered by folk on here, and not just mine, then you can expect some fairly blunt responses. The recurring theme in all the advice offered, and not just by me, is to sort your water out. We may find that once you've done that the fish still need some support as in terms of meds. Adding antibiotics (in this case kanamycin) to a planted tank is rarely as successful as treating in a qt tank and it always has adverse effects on the bio-filter, thus making water quality more of an issue.

GTOAviator
08-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I agree the tank wasn't cycled properly. Typically I cycle tanks for at least a month before introducing fish but the situation was dynamic and unfortunately didn't allow for this long of a cycle. Everything else about the water quality with the Kanaplex and biofilter I already knew. The fish was brought in with a popeye unbeknownst to me (I wouldn't buy a sick fish knowingly). Anyway, there's no fight or challenging of advice - not sure what we're even talking about anymore lol

My question about the fish not eating was pretty straight forward, do I return the fish or keep him?

pcsb23
08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
My question about the fish not eating was pretty straight forward, do I return the fish or keep him?Really up to you, but fwiw I'd return it if they'll take it back now. They may argue it was fine when it left them though, be a tough one to prove either way.

GTOAviator
08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Really up to you, but fwiw I'd return it if they'll take it back now. They may argue it was fine when it left them though, be a tough one to prove either way.

Yeah, I believe you are correct. I know the guys at the LFS pretty well so they said an exchange/full refund would be absolutely fine. They said they would take back as many fish as I wanted (this really is a good guy LFS).

I just hope the other 5 remain as healthy as they appear while I step up my water change game...

nc0gnet0
08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I believe you are correct. I know the guys at the LFS pretty well so they said an exchange/full refund would be absolutely fine. They said they would take back as many fish as I wanted (this really is a good guy LFS).

I just hope the other 5 remain as healthy as they appear while I step up my water change game...

If they do take them back, I hope they dont stick them into a tank that resides on a central system with the other fish they have for sale,

GTOAviator
08-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Update: I've since taken the "not eating" fish back for a refund - interestingly enough, the mood in the tank has noticeably changed. 5 discus remain and they have begun schooling again. At times they are not all together and hang out alone in different "claimed" parts of the tank but they never look scared or sick. During feeding they all scurry over to the front of the glass and dance like snakes :D All eating healthy and loving life it appears.

Just for fun I grabbed a Penn Plax Canister 1500 (for 200 gallon tanks). I know water changes are king but cycling 350 gallons per hour in a 55 gallon tank can't be a bad thing ;)

nc0gnet0
08-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I know water changes are king but cycling 350 gallons per hour in a 55 gallon tank can't be a bad thing

Canister filters are a lot like 9 year olds.........

You tell them to pick up their filthy room and they go hide everything under the bed.

-Rick

GTOAviator
08-23-2014, 04:52 AM
This thing rocks

musicmarn1
08-24-2014, 03:54 AM
Lol, Rick means that canisters can trap a lot of bad stuff and toxins can leach out Nasty bacteria can grow, just clean it often in tank water :)