PDA

View Full Version : Newly arrived fish with swimming problem

XAnhLe
08-20-2014, 01:45 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I just received 3 fish that I purchased online. After acclimating in the bag, I placed them in QT with my hand no net used. One of them has been facing upward at the water surface. The tank has a very good working air stone running as well. I have noticed this fish weird swimming behavior since it was still inside the shipping bag. Possibly swimming bladder problem.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Facing up toward the surface, sometimes lie down at the bottom of the tank

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Had some aquarium salt in there to help with stress, cut out light to the tank, and heater is on. No medication has been used.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

29gal QT tank, 3 discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Just changed 80% water last night.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

About 2 months

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph __6.6___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _X___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

3 new fish added to an empty QT tank

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i.imgur.com/qamx0tQ.jpg

brewmaster15
08-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Is this Fish bloated? Can you call the seller and see if they fasted these fish before shipping. Sometimes when a fish is bagged and shipped without fasting, what you are seeing can happen. This is because the metabolism slows down and foods in the gut can rot.

-al

XAnhLe
08-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the response, Al. Its tummy is a bit round and fat, doesn't look like the seller did any fasting. Should I proceed with epsom salt? Should I separate the other two individuals from this one? The other two looks very healthy and has been swimming around since I released it into QT tank.

nc0gnet0
08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Is there anyway to take a better picture?

brewmaster15
08-20-2014, 05:18 PM
A better picture would help alot.

No sense in stressing the fish and moving it...You can treat the whole with Epsom, it won't harm the other fish. 1 tablespoon per 10 gals Epsom salt .

If you have not already done so, I would also call the seller and let them know you are having issues.

hth,
al

XAnhLe
08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
I did a salt dip with 1 tsp/gal for 20 minutes. It definitely helped a bit. The fish is not totally vertical anymore.

I also contacted the seller through email, hopefully he will response soon.

Thank you so much for helping me :)

Here are some better pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/1TjWlNL.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/ObyaURR.jpg?1

nc0gnet0
08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I am sorry, but that was driving me nuts..........

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/nc0gnet0/1TjWlNL_zps76f5873b.jpg?t=1408497134

nc0gnet0
08-20-2014, 09:20 PM
You did a 20 minute dip into epsoms salt? Typically that is used more as a 4-6 hour bath as opposed to a dip...... Dips are down with table salt for external issues...

At any rate he seems better. Pretty small little guy, looks to be an albino and a little behind on growth....Can I ask his Size, can I also see the other fish you recieved?

XAnhLe
08-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah this guy looks a bit stunned, he is about 2". He was at the water surface in those pictures. The other two are fine about 2.5-3~inches, the eyes are proportional. The other two are supposed to be albino platinum, and this guy is supposed to be albino platinum dragon. I purchased them from somethingphishy, I did a bit of research about this website AFTER I already purchased my fish, worst mistake ever. I was too excited to see albino platinum at $32, I didn't think twice about it.