PDA

View Full Version : Do I have two females?

Milo2
08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
So would it be safe to say that I have two females. I took two 14 month old from the same batch that appeared to be paired and placed them in a breeding tank. It has been 4 months and bout 6 large spawns without success. The eggs did not appear to be fertilized. What do you folks think. Two females?

100fuegos
08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Sometimes males take more time to mature. It may be two females but only watching them laying eggs will confirm it.

John_Nicholson
08-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Could be females, could be the male is not ready, could be your water is not soft enough, could be a male that doesn't make runs. You will need to watch them spawn to know. Normal healthy females will lay eggs about every 7 days until they have success....so in 4 months there should have been roughly 16 spawns. If you have only found 6 spawns then something is not quite right.

-john

Milo2
08-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys! I will try to check tds closer and see if I can catch them in the act.

nc0gnet0
08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Normal healthy females will lay eggs about every 7 days until they have success.

Normal healthy Young females will lay eggs about every 7 days until they have success. When they get older it can take a bit longer between batches.

John_Nicholson
08-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Normal healthy Young females will lay eggs about every 7 days until they have success. When they get older it can take a bit longer between batches.

Your right but 14 months is young....LOL. Beside how many people on here do you think have enough success to get old females? The ones that do already know the correct answer.

-john

nc0gnet0
08-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Your right but 14 months is young....LOL. Beside how many people on here do you think have enough success to get old females? The ones that do already know the correct answer.

-john

lol, point taken.

runninlow
08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Im in the same situation..sadlly i trutly think i have 2 females, but i really need to see them make the runs. i know 1 is for sure the female but i need to take a closer look to see if the other one follows up after the laying females lays.