PDA

View Full Version : Separating breeding pair

Nagmad
08-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I have looked through the post and probably missed it but I was after some advice. I have a breeding pair of discus that were in a community tank, I had another tank so I removed all the other fish and gravel and left the pair in this tank. This pair over the past two weeks have began fighting and each day getting worse. They never have done this before and seemed to work well as a team. The last batch of eggs the fighting appeared to be over who got to fan the eggs. So yesterday after dividing the tank I added two fish out of my community tank in the hope that the focus would get spread to these two as well even though they were behind a divider, this didn't work so I took the divider out. Tonight she has layed eggs again and he followed, as soon as the process was finished the fighting began again, I separated the pair with the divider, leaving the female with the eggs, and the male is going backwards and forwards along the divider, should I leave them separated and leave him in his half of the tank or should I remove him from the tank completely. I would not have seperated them but the fighting is constant. I'm sorry for the long post but I had no intentionions to breed and now I have a breeding pair would like to give them a chance so any advice would be appreciated so I don't cause my male any unwanted stress.

John_Nicholson
08-25-2014, 08:41 AM
What you should have done was to leave them alone. Lots of pairs fight. They will normally work it out if left alone. In all of my years I have never had them kill each other. I have have lots of damage that healed up but never a death. Probably to late to put them back together right now but after this spawn I would just leave them together if it was me.

-john

Nagmad
08-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Thank you John, the last batch of eggs after all the fighting ended up eaten, and they had never done that, and the constant fighting for two weeks concerned me, again because they never fought before. I knew I had upset everything when removing everything out of the tank but hated the fact the fry would just start to (jump) around the log and then the community fish would pick them off, maybe I should have left everything as it was, but I'm here to learn, so will keep an eye on them. Thanks again

John_Nicholson
08-25-2014, 09:25 AM
It was the correct move to separate the rest of the fish, but a mistake to remove the male.

Good luck.

-john