PDA

View Full Version : How much for adults?

judijetson
08-25-2014, 07:11 PM
I sometimes wonder if I feed too much...I have 11 discus (all over 5") and feed as follows: 1/4 tsp aquabites and a good pinch of flake (discus cobalt & kens immune booster mixed) in the morning, presoaked in garlic guard then 6 cubes of Al's FDBW also presoaked in the evening. Not much of anything is left over and gets siphoned out at the end of the day. Some of the discus do get pretty full bellies though so I want to make sure I'm not over feeding as I realize this can lead to issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

judijetson
08-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Bump ;)

dragon1974
08-26-2014, 09:29 AM
More Please :o I think 2 adult discus will eat what you're feeding. Some memebers do 8 times that in one day and clean at the end of the day. But that's my 2 cents

judijetson
08-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Yes, I swear they can hear my car pull into the drive way. :D

They would eat several times if I fed them, I'm just trying to make sure the quantity (amount of food) given during the two feedings is appropriate.

tiggert
08-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Just to compare, a breeding pair of mine (>5") will easily eat a full cube of FDBW or Frozen Blood Worms twice a day, and can handle several feedings during the day of flakes, BH, live BS, RW, or anything else I have made up or cultured.

When I get home from work I give them several smaller feedings over the course of a few hours if possible. Discus can move food thru themselves fairly quickly.

Only fish I've ever had that would eat themselves to death were Bettas. All my Discus will stop at some point, then come back and graze 15 to 20 min later if there is any left around...

discuspaul
08-26-2014, 03:39 PM
It appears you're not over-feeding imo Judi.
But if their bellies generally look rounded & full, and there are some scraps left over from time to time, I believe you're feeding sufficiently.

judijetson
08-26-2014, 03:44 PM
@tiggert, thank you for the comparison. I feel better knowing the amount of cubed FDBW is not too much, I may give splitting them in half and feeding part when I get home then the remainder later in the evening.

Mine will also continue to graze on the pellets & flakes in the morning if there are some leftovers but the FDBW are quickly devoured :D

judijetson
08-26-2014, 09:07 PM
It appears you're not over-feeding imo Judi.
But if their bellies generally look rounded & full, and there are some scraps left over from time to time, I believe you're feeding sufficiently.

Thanks Paul! These fish always seem hungry but I don't want to over do. I'll keep an eye on their bellies as they are rounded and full after eating!