PDA

View Full Version : Frozen peas

DLFL
08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
I cooked some frozen peas for my goldfish. When feeding them I also feed the Discus some. Both types of fish took to peas in a big way. Now I noticed that after feeding the peas for a few days that the slim build up on the glass of the two tanks did not form nor did any algae grow.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I suppose an enzyme in the peas is keeping the glass clean.

XAnhLe
08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Probably some chemicals from the peas inhibiting algae growths. I have read about rooibos tea, and its effect on algae, too. Enzymes only catalyze reactions, and under high temperature, they denature anyways.

DLFL
09-03-2014, 08:29 AM
I did a water change and now the tank is Crystal clear like it never has been. I have taken a lot of photos of this tank and I mean a lot over the last 22 months. This is the best lighting I have ever gotten. The water quality is the reason. I am at a loss why this is working for me. I do not know if it makes a difference but the bag of peas I have are pretty mature. Many are close to being dry. I have to make sure they are mashed enough so the fish can eat them.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z97/DLFL/Group%20Discus/Sept2-2014039_zps6a33d7be.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/DLFL/media/Group%20Discus/Sept2-2014039_zps6a33d7be.jpg.html)

ericNH
09-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Now I noticed that after feeding the peas for a few days that the slim build up on the glass of the two tanks did not form nor did any algae grow.

Really??? Peas polished your tank?? I've got to try this...

Caitie
09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Are you just talking about any regular bag of frozen peas will work???? How much are you putting in and at feeding time along with whatever else or separately?

DLFL
09-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I am feeding once day by it's self. I do not know if young frozen peas would do the same. Guess I will find out when I need to buy them again.

Second Hand Pat
09-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Dick, are you offering the pea whole or are you crushing them slightly?

Keith Perkins
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I have to make sure they are mashed enough so the fish can eat them.

:sleeping3:

Second Hand Pat
09-03-2014, 11:19 AM
:sleeping3:

:p

DLFL
09-03-2014, 11:22 AM
;)

YSS
09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Really??? Peas polished your tank?? I've got to try this...

Definitely going to try on my African tank.

DLFL
09-26-2014, 02:27 PM
It has been a month now and I am feeding one pea per fish every 2-3 days. Once a week water change of 80 percent. I have two tanks as of now. One is a 30 gallon with two goldfish. It has been a week since the last water change and I measured the nitrate level this morning and it showed 0! Yesterday the discus tank showed the same. The peas were too mature to have been packaged for frozen vegetables. I have to mash them and get a cloud in the area I put the pea. This has turned into quite an experiment.

YSS
09-27-2014, 10:19 AM
It has been a month now and I am feeding one pea per fish every 2-3 days. Once a week water change of 80 percent. I have two tanks as of now. One is a 30 gallon with two goldfish. It has been a week since the last water change and I measured the nitrate level this morning and it showed 0! Yesterday the discus tank showed the same. The peas were too mature to have been packaged for frozen vegetables. I have to mash them and get a cloud in the area I put the pea. This has turned into quite an experiment.

Completely forgot about this after I posted here. That's an interesting finding. May be you can start decreasing your water change amount and/or frequencies and see how that goes ..

DLFL
09-27-2014, 01:14 PM
I have decided to stop on the discus tank but will continue on the goldfish. I am trying to find if the enzymes in almost mature peas and mature peas will convert the nitrate. The goldfish tank a 30 gallon with two 5 inch fancy goldfish had its last water change a week ago. The water appears to be clear, no hint of yellow. I am going to get some other people to test this water to see if they show the same. The fear is that the pea enzymes are just masking the nitrate. I am not changing water on the goldfish unless they start to show signs of distress.

YSS
09-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Just fed my fish some peas. African Cichlids went after the peas and ate them well. Discus were picking on them, but eating nonetheless.

DLFL
09-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Well my original observation of the tanks water clearing after feeding the peas is still good. The nitrate readings are not. Having the water tested from the goldfish by another person using the same API type test I use showed 5 ppm nitrate.

YSS
09-27-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm sure peas not bad for the fish and if that's also good for water clarity and may be quality, all the better. No harm, no foul.