PDA

View Full Version : Ever see a Rose Red go from Red to Brown?

Bilbo
08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Got two Rose Reds that started off really rose red yet they are gradually turning brown. This is with feeding coraphil pink and this is with all the other red type pigeon fish either holding their color or gaining more color. Every fish in the tank is healthy including the Rose Reds. Eating and gorging on food. Growing.

So I am not concerned but I am curious. Anyone seen this before? All 3 Rose Reds are losing their red at the same rate.

Bilbo
08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
I should mention that this has been an extreemly gradual process. Also, they still look fantastic. But the spot where they started losing red at was in the back region of the fish and slighty towards the middle. This patch of brown has been ever so slightly getting bigger. Looks like the fish is simply turning into an Alenquer.

John_Nicholson
08-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't know the background of the fish but it is possible that the source was either feeding something else or they could have had some hormones treatments.....

-john

Rudustin
08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I have four rose reds. All four came the same color. As they grew one became very dark burgundy. One turned orangey red. Another one turned the color of a blushing red and the fourth one stayed the same color but developed a light orange patch in the center of the body on both sides. The one that turned very dark is now uniformly from head to tail dark wine red. I've included a picture of her. Three of them are female including the dark one. Rufus83525

Rudustin
08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Here are the others. 8352683527

Rudustin
08-29-2014, 12:14 PM

pastry
08-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Rufus, yep, same thing on my VR's and RC. Part diet part light part background part substrate etc. I'm thinking mostly diet and growth but just a guess. One of my VRs is still pretty darn red. Even more red than my RC. Also wondering if it's a sex thing (male/female). Would like to see how the others keep. Keep me posted! I'm interested in this!

Rudustin
08-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Rufus, yep, same thing on my VR's and RC. Part diet part light part background part substrate etc. I'm thinking mostly diet and growth but just a guess. One of my VRs is still pretty darn red. Even more red than my RC. Also wondering if it's a sex thing (male/female). Would like to see how the others keep. Keep me posted! I'm interested in this!

I will keep in touch. I like all of them to be different. They are each easy to identify. All three of the females have spawned it various males in their tank. The most aggressive is the very dark one. She's beautiful but very mean! Rufus

Keith Perkins
08-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Some of the red strains as the fish mature the males gravitate toward brown as the females stay more red. Seems odd you'd have all males and there's probably more to it than just that, but I put it out there none the less.

Rudustin
08-30-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm a little confused Keith. Are you referring to my RRs or the OP. I have three females out if the four. Rufus

Keith Perkins
08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
The OP, sorry for the confusion Rufus.

wild4discus
08-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Rufus, your virgin reds look great. I really like the variation of reds. Did you get those from Kenny?

Rudustin
08-30-2014, 07:45 PM
The OP, sorry for the confusion Rufus. Thanks Keith for clarifying. Rufus

Rudustin
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Rufus, your virgin reds look great. I really like the variation of reds. Did you get those from Kenny? Hi Wild, My reds pictured are all Rose Reds not virgin reds. I'm still new at this so perhaps there is a similar name for the very same fish. Yes, I got those from Kenny. They are very good eaters and started laying eggs on the second day I had them! Of the three females have chosen mates at this point. The dark one has chosen a San Merah, the other two have chosen two Blushing Red males that I also got from Kenny some months ago. I am on a business trip at the moment for another week so I haven't seen what's going on in the tank they are all in since tuesday. Rufus