PDA

View Full Version : My goodbye to discus-keeping and to SD

DiscusBR
08-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Dear friends,

Some of you are familiar with my wonderful journey keeping and breeding wild Cuipeua discus when I lived in Rio, Brazil:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?100638-Eggs!!-And-they-did-it-while-I-was-travelling&highlight=eggs

Some of you also know how several wonderful people helped me transport one of the pairs to the US, when I moved from Rio to New Orleans last year:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?107661-The-Saga-Cuipeuas-trip-from-Rio-to-New-Orleans&highlight=saga

Pat agreed to keep the pair for me while I got my new life organized in New Orleans. That was one year ago. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the pair's new tank ready and only now I was going to set it up. In the meantime, however, the pair started to thin out. Despite several treatments, Pat was unable to save them and was forced to cull both.

It is a sad ending for a long story, but I confess I was having second thoughts about my ability to keep a discus pair in a small house, with a 3-yr old daughter and a busy professional life. I was already thinking about having another break in the hobby and wait until I have a bigger house.

So, my friends, I now say goodbye to discus-keeping. I will come back one day and will most likely continue lurking SD to remain updated.

I am considering setting up the 45g as a low-maintenance community tank. I never had killifish but I am serious considering them. I am also considering apistogramas. Does anyone know where I can get some good quality fish? I know that Mark from Discus Origins often gets apistos, but I would like to know about other possible sources, especially for killifish. Any suggestions of what to do with the tank? :)

I would like to thank everyone from this wonderful site and to folks that helped me bring the pair to the US, especially Mark (Discus Origins) and Pat.

All the best,

Mauro

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Sorry to see you taking a break Mauro but do understand. Skip and John can give you some leads on killifish. It's a shame about your pair and I tried very hard to save them. Remember my offer of more wilds if you decide they have a place in your future. Best to you and please do not be a stranger.
Pat

YSS
08-29-2014, 10:51 PM
All the best, Mauro. You had a great tank of wilds going. They were awesome fish!

XAnhLe
08-29-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm new here and I just finished reading both of your post about when they started pairing up and when you moved... wow... what a beautiful journey you had with your discus.

Keith Perkins
08-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I've thought of you several times over the past year Mauro and wondered what was happening with you. Very very sorry to hear about the fish, quite the shame with all the effort you put in to trying to make the move happen. I wish you well and hope to be here when you make your way back.

Keith

Allwin
08-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Mauro, that was a wonderful journey even shared with my friends. Only,fish nuts like us can understand the worth of transporting fishes the way u did, special kudos to u/Pat's effort no matter the result. Its not the end of the world, but i'm sure u will be back in another thread with discus in it. Good luck.!

-A

DiscusBR
08-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Sorry to see you taking a break Mauro but do understand. Skip and John can give you some leads on killifish. It's a shame about your pair and I tried very hard to save them. Remember my offer of more wilds if you decide they have a place in your future. Best to you and please do not be a stranger.
Pat

Thank you for your offer, Pat. You have always been so kind and generous. I appreciate that. Yes, I have seen Skip's Killis. They look beautiful. I might contact John to see if he has fish available.

All the best, Mauro. You had a great tank of wilds going. They were awesome fish!

Thank you, Yun. And thank you also for all the advice you gave me.

I'm new here and I just finished reading both of your post about when they started pairing up and when you moved... wow... what a beautiful journey you had with your discus.

Welcome to SD. You couldn't be in a better place to learn about discus-keeping. This is an amazing community. And I agree, it was a truly beautiful journey. I will keep wonderful memories.

I've thought of you several times over the past year Mauro and wondered what was happening with you. Very very sorry to hear about the fish, quite the shame with all the effort you put in to trying to make the move happen. I wish you well and hope to be here when you make your way back.

Thank you, Keith. You have always followed my journey and provided generous advice. We will be meeting again sooner than we expect.

DiscusBR
08-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Mauro, that was a wonderful journey even shared with my friends. Only,fish nuts like us can understand the worth of transporting fishes the way u did, special kudos to u/Pat's effort no matter the result. Its not the end of the world, but i'm sure u will be back in another thread with discus in it. Good luck.!

-A

Thank you, Allwin. Yes, it was a great adventure by some crazy discus-fans :) And I am very thankful to Pat for her generous help.

discuspaul
08-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Knowing you & conversing with you about your discus experiences has been a wonderful journey so far, Mauro.

We'll miss you during your break & look forward to your return !

All the very best to you,
Paul

OC Discus
08-30-2014, 06:10 PM
One of our members from Georgia is breeding some apistos and knows a good source. I'll find a link for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIet5Y6xos&feature=youtu.be

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108473-Updated-Life-Updated-Fishroom

Best of luck

wild4discus
08-30-2014, 06:51 PM
WetSpot has very good quality apistos. Sells frequently on aquabid.

DiscusBR
08-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Knowing you & conversing with you about your discus experiences has been a wonderful journey so far, Mauro.

We'll miss you during your break & look forward to your return !

All the very best to you,
Paul

Thank you, Paul. It is people like you that make this site remarkable. And I will sure miss our exchanges.

One of our members from Georgia is breeding some apistos and knows a good source. I'll find a link for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIet5Y6xos&feature=youtu.be

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108473-Updated-Life-Updated-Fishroom

Best of luck

Thank you. Oh yeah, Larry has an amazing collection in his fish room, including some beautiful wild discus.

WetSpot has very good quality apistos. Sells frequently on aquabid.

Thank you for the hint, but right now I leaning to establishing my 47g as a Southeast Asia tank. I always enjoyed the sight of a school of harlequin rasboras and always found Pearl Gourami to be a beautiful fish. I am also considering Aplocheilus Panchax, an asian killifish (I would be grateful for any suggestion of source for this fish). Anyone knows of any bottom feeder from Southeast Asia that is not a botia? Anyway, sorry to bother folks with discus-unrelated questions...

The tank is cycling. I will post pictures and videos in the non-discus area of the forum when it is ready.

Second Hand Pat
08-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Mauro, please do not be a stranger. :D Sounds like an interesting tank you are setting up.