PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeders/importers

Jrmets22
09-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and to keeping Discus and was just wondering if anyone could recommend any reputable breeders or importers that are located in the northern Nevada/California area. My first Discus is of the LFS variety and I would like to see what other options are available. Thank you.

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Hello and welcome to Simply. I suggest you check out our sponsors http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors who sell discus and other supplies. Since you asked about California Kenny of Kenny's Discus is located in California and offers monthly shipments. However all our sponsor's offer shipping so limiting yourself to a certain part of the country is not necessary so suggest checking them all out.

Jrmets22
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I did email Kenny's discus and Sunrise Tropicals requesting a stock list. Both of those Discus suppliers are located about a 4 hour drive from me here in Reno, NV and I was hoping to be able to go in and see the fish that I would like to purchase. As for shipping I've looked at several places on the east coast and to be honest I find the shipping cost prohibitive.

DC Discus
09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I highly recommend Kenny's discus, it's a bit overwhelming to see their Discus with all the varieties in one place. He gets new fish monthly, but sells out fast. I usually pre-order and drive in to hand pick the fish. Kenny is extremely nice and their fish are of the highest quality. Really for the quality you'll get the 4 hour drive is worth it. Just do it on a weekend morning to avoid traffic. In my opinion getting lower quality fish can end up more costly in the long run with treatments and shortened life spans etc.

You can see Kenny's fish from last month here;
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?119-Kenny-s-Discus-%28Kenny-Cheung%29-Daly-City-California

I'd also recommend making sure your water quality is good (RO/DI filtration,etc), I can't remember if Reno is on ground water or Truckee river water. Truckee river water is probably nearly as good as RO/Di water. I do remember that Reno's LFS discus were struggling to stay alive in the display tanks. There is also a store in Rocklin (near Sac, about 2 hr drive for you) that is doing better importing good Discus. Their display tank has some exceptional Discus. from Kenny. from a member on here.

Good Luck!
DC

XAnhLe
09-02-2014, 08:37 PM
If you are going to order Kenny's discus, you better do it quick or pre-order because they sell out fast. Very very fast.

Jrmets22
09-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the help folks, looking forward to adding a couple fish in the near future

I highly recommend Kenny's discus, it's a bit overwhelming to see their Discus with all the varieties in one place. He gets new fish monthly, but sells out fast. I usually pre-order and drive in to hand pick the fish. Kenny is extremely nice and their fish are of the highest quality. Really for the quality you'll get the 4 hour drive is worth it. Just do it on a weekend morning to avoid traffic. In my opinion getting lower quality fish can end up more costly in the long run with treatments and shortened life spans etc.

You can see Kenny's fish from last month here;
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?119-Kenny-s-Discus-%28Kenny-Cheung%29-Daly-City-California

I'd also recommend making sure your water quality is good (RO/DI filtration,etc), I can't remember if Reno is on ground water or Truckee river water. Truckee river water is probably nearly as good as RO/Di water. I do remember that Reno's LFS discus were struggling to stay alive in the display tanks. There is also a store in Rocklin (near Sac, about 2 hr drive for you) that is doing better importing good Discus. Their display tank has some exceptional Discus. from Kenny. from a member on here.

Good Luck!
DC

Jrmets22
09-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated.