PDA

View Full Version : Double Breeding

tiggert
09-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi folks,

Interesting set of events have occurred:

I have a young pair of Tony Tan Turqs, still growing but laying like clocks. Last Sat (8/23) they finally "got it right" and produced a small group of wigglers from a smallish spawn...8-10 from around 50 eggs. Not great but i lilke the steady progress they are making! I've been enthused as they have cared for and attached the small spawn perfectly with no issues, even tho Dad is doing most of the work.

Now for the interesting part, I get home today and there are about 300+ newly laid eggs, he is still dark and both are carrying the original fry from last week! I would expect a sushi buffet before another spawn, and I never had a follow up spawn when they were carrying fry already, anyone else do this before? I'm debating just waiting see if this spawn was a good one and sucking out the current fry early, try to raise them sooner on BBS (they got their first taste of BBS this morning) even tho I prefer for them to stay on parents a couple weeks...but also concerned the new fry may be lunch for current fry?

Thoughts of feedback?

TIA!

tiggert
09-02-2014, 08:14 PM
What's a post without a photo?

Here is Mom and her new clutch of eggs, along with two of the older sibblings....Not sure if with compression you'll be able to see the fry on her or not....

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag327/tiggertlee/FishwithEggs_zps3577dcd8.jpg

Larry Bugg
09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
It is not that unusual when there is such a small spawn. Very high probability they will either eat the new eggs/wigglers or the old free swimmers. It is unusual that a pair will keep both spawns.

tiggert
09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey Larry!

That is what I figured too. I had an old pair of Turqs would eat the free swimmers right before a new spawn if they had a few dozen.... I may take the free swimmers out if that clutch looks fertile....see if I can get a small grow out tank running. Should be interesting! Either way she is cranking out the eggs!

tiggert
09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Sure enough,they decided to clean off the eggs and keep the little spawn....well, what is left of it! Next egg batch I may have to try raising artificially!

rickztahone
09-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Learning experience right? You have a stunning looking discus though. Where did it come from?

tiggert
09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Ricardo,

Indeed a very cool one. They are still carrying 4 or 5 of the little ones. They are Tony Tan Galaxy discus. He is still dark with the kids but they are both great fish....

tiggert
09-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Well wouldn't you know just a couple of days later they laid another large batch (of course this time on the backup heater, which I unplugged) and this time the tended to the eggs perfectly, the original 4 or 5 fry stayed on and now I have about 60-80 fry being tended to by both parents perfectly. Based on my notes the older siblings are 9 days older, the younger batch went free swimming on the 18th. The growth rates of the younger ones are such I can't really identify the older ones anymore....so far the parents have been perfect and no more egg laying, they seem totally happy carrying for the kids right now...

tiggert
09-28-2014, 06:15 PM
An updated photo, sorry I need to clean the front of the tank...Playing with a new lens for my camera, hope to make some cool discus photos in the near future with it...videos too :-)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag327/tiggertlee/ForWeb_zps130287b0.jpg

tiggert
09-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Let's see if the video will work too. Sorry again, rushed job been traveling too much and not enough time to spend on all the normal house work much less the hobbies (not to worry the fish are getting top quality care!)

http://youtu.be/HexvTGq3gO4

rickztahone
09-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Very cool. TFS