PDA

View Full Version : New Fish Just Arrived - Out of Bag to On His Side on Tank Bottom

fishtanktenderfoot
09-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I just received my shipment of 7 discus, and they were packed very well! 16 hrs in transit form CA to TN. I floated them for 30-40 min to acclimate temp and then I slit open the bags and poured fish into net (over sink) and dropped netted fish into tank. 6 of 7 are beautiful. The biggest - a 5" cobalt - dropped straight to the bottom on his side. He's very dark but breathing. Is there anything I can do for him? His fins are in good shape, I see no apparent injury.

Tank parameters (I measured everything before I added these guys):
PH=7.6
Temp=83
Amm=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=5
Chlorine=.04

These are my first fish and nothing else in tank except 3 plants.

Steph

DiscusLoverJeff
09-03-2014, 12:05 PM
For now, turn off lights and let him be. Check again in a few hours.

Second Hand Pat
09-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Steph, lights out on the tank, keep the area quiet about the tank if you can and dark in the room if possible. No feeding for a while. Give the fish a chance to recover from shipping. This is not unusual.

fishtanktenderfoot
09-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks so much for both your replies and so quickly! The box was opened in dim lighting, and the tank only has ambient light near it now. I knew there probably wasn't anything I could really do, but it is heartbreaking to watch. But he does rally once in a while and tries to right himself, so I am hopeful. I will keep him as stress free as possible. Thanks again, I'm so thankful to this site and all you experts sharing your knowledge.

Larry Bugg
09-03-2014, 12:47 PM
As Pat said, it is not unusual at all for a new arrival to end up lying on its side. It happens all the time with no lasting affect to the discus. As said above, lights out and give it some time. My bet is that by this evening you will be amazed.

John_Nicholson
09-03-2014, 02:55 PM
They should be fine.

-john

fishtanktenderfoot
09-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I am already amazed! I looked at him after 3 hrs, and he was moving even less, starting to get covered in substrate sand, not even moving his fins. To now (4 hrs total) and he's upright and getting his color back. Yay! I guess I overreacted, but I wasn't prepared for that at all. So once again, thanks for setting me straight. Lights out and no food until tomorrow. I'll share pics once they settle, I am so excited to have them. I'm hoping this is my one and only post to the emergency room! :o

DiscusLoverJeff
09-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Glad he is better. As always, patients young grasshoppers!

Second Hand Pat
09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Good to hear and pics once everyone is settled and eating. :D