PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of water changes

KDS
09-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I am starting a new 75 gallon planted aquarium which will eventually include about 5 discus fish. Here is my current setup:

75 gallon Aqueon tank
LED light fixture from BuildmyLED.com (Dutch Planted 6300)
200 Watt heater
Hydor Koralia Powerhead (600 gph)
100 lbs Carib Sea Eco Complete substrate

The tank is in its early stages of cycling and will be a while before things get running. My question is if it is okay to do a 25-30% water change just once a month (assuming water parameters are in synch)? I would like to outsource the major water changes and some upkeep which will cost about $75 per visit. Just wondering if this is enough maintenance.

Kevin

Second Hand Pat
09-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Kevin, welcome to Simply and the short answer is no. If you are planning to outsource might be best to not keep discus. Discus need multiple WCs a week depending on your bio-load and whether they are adult, juvies, how much you feed, etc, etc. A bit of research is warranted here. If you have not kept a planted tank before then do planted or discus. Doing both as a newbie is a recipe for disaster.

Larry Bugg
09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't recommend once a month on any tank,discus or not!!! My planted non discus tanks get 50% once a week.

Aquacrazed
09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
You might be able to get away with 25-30% water change a WEEK if you have five 4.5+ sized discus in your 75g.

vanslam
09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I would test the water and let the results determine your change schedule.

ericNH
09-15-2014, 10:37 AM
If you have not kept a planted tank before then do planted or discus. Doing both as a newbie is a recipe for disaster.

All too true. I am currently in the midst of this exact disaster, and let me tell you, this is advice I wish I had before I started. On the bright side, with upping my WC schedule to 50% per day (on the advice of many many veterans here) I am beginning to see some success. My juvies are growing now, and the tank in general is looking better every week.

So I really want to thank all the great ppl here who take the time to help newbies like us. I'm sure you must get tired of giving the same advice over and over, so I'm really happy that you guys keep doing it.

Cheers!

DISCUS STU
09-15-2014, 11:17 AM
The more water changes the better. Once a month is very low. A few times a week and more is better. More water changes = healthier Discus. Even though I have an RO system I don't have alot of room to store water in an apartment so I use Novaqua+ and Amquel+ double strength for many of my larger water changes using tap water.

klannin
09-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Have to add, from just a few weeks of following the advice from this forum, I am forever changed as to how I will keep an aquarium. I think fish are not naturally suited for life in old water... maybe in nature dry seasons or poor conditions cause survival to kick in... but over time you see effects, even in nature.

We have a ranch, and the bass you pull out of the livestock tanks are stunted and skinny if they are not filled during dry spells. You must ask yourself... do you want your fish to thrive or just survive?

You are sticking them in glass box, their welfare is 100% up to you.

K

jmf3460
09-15-2014, 01:19 PM
water change schedules are a tricky question. I have a couple well established planted tanks, and by well established I mean years old with plants that absorb the majority of the nitrates. these tanks are lightly stocked with tetras, barbs, rainbows, gouramis, and hatchets and I change about 50% every week or so. Sometimes I skip a week if im too busy. But it did take years before those tanks reached that "self sustaining" status in my mind. On those tanks I clean the filters maybe once a year and do a gravel vac maybe once every other month (and by gravel vac I mean only in the areas I can get to without harming plants/roots.) I have other tanks that are more discus friendly without plants but with sand substrate and lots of wood on those tanks I do a bi weekly water change of at least 50% or more. The sand makes it easier to get up all the poo that fouls the water. But these tanks have much bigger fish (sa cichilds), much larger bioloads and no plants to absorb the nitrates. I change filter media every other water change and clean filters out maybe twice a year.

for discus I would suggest this type set up only once they reach adult status. its just easier with sand bottom to suction up poo and uneaten food. bare bottom as juvies and sand with wood and maybe some potted plants or attached plants to wood only. hope this helps

75 gallon is a good size, its one of my favorite footprints. discus in planted is a challenge but can be done. checkout some of discuspaul's tanks. and join www.theplantedtank.net to learn more about planted set ups