PDA

View Full Version : Discus laying eggs with no mate!?!?!?!

Stnoonan
09-14-2014, 09:24 PM
I went downstairs today to feed my discus and I see that she laid eggs on the filter tube. Her mate died will I was at camp about 2 months ago. Is this normal? Is there any way I can fertilize them or will she mate if I throw another suitable male in there.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c377f4e204&view=att&th=14876e0b62f5d2fb&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1

John_Nicholson
09-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Well I guess if you can hold your breath long enough you can try........

-john

Rudustin
09-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Well I guess if you can hold your breath long enough you can try........

-john

John, you made me LMAO! No there is no way you will be able to fertilize those eggs. Rufus

Altum Nut
09-14-2014, 09:41 PM
It is normal for females to lay with or without a male and you cannot fert. unless your a male discus lol. Just throw in a confirmed suitable male and see if they get along. The rest will be upto them.

...Ralph

Stnoonan
09-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Does he have to be the same age as the female or will she take any age?

Larry Bugg
09-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Age doesn't matter as long as he has viable sperm.

Stnoonan
09-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Also does he have to be the same strain of discus or can you cross breed them?

John_Nicholson
09-14-2014, 10:26 PM
I would suggest doing a lot of reading before you try and breed them. From your questions it seems you might be a little lacking in the basic knowledge. No need to get the cart before the horse.

-john

Stnoonan
09-14-2014, 11:12 PM
I would suggest doing a lot of reading before you try and breed them. From your questions it seems you might be a little lacking in the basic knowledge. No need to get the cart before the horse.

-john

I actually have had my Discus for over a year. I know all about Discus except for the breeding because I never had any intrest to. Regardless that does not answer my question.

Altum Nut
09-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Take the suggestion from John. Great that you are asking questions but the basic knowledge of Discus breeding and knowing what strains are compatible for breeding takes some time and is much more advanced then just keeping/feeding fish in a glass box.
Old/New threads in the beginner's section is packed with valuable information.
To answer your question...your female has been cross bred, so you see what it means to know about genetics first.

...Ralph

Stnoonan
09-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I meant no offense, I just didn't want you to think I am some newbie who doesn't know anything. Knowledge is power and I am always looking for more.

Altum Nut
09-14-2014, 11:37 PM
You came to the right place and welcome to SD.
Nothing wrong with being a newbie or you would not be asking newbie questions.
I consider myself a newbie and have bred and raised Discus for the last 6 years.

...Ralph

John_Nicholson
09-15-2014, 08:26 AM
I meant no offense, I just didn't want you to think I am some newbie who doesn't know anything. Knowledge is power and I am always looking for more.

A whole year....I don't want to sound like an *** but the questions that you asked do not indicate a good base amount of knowledge. I hope you hang around here and do a lot of reading. The lack of knowledge displayed above has nothing to do with discus. They are questions of basic aquatic biology. There is a search feature at the top of the page. This site has a wealth of information on it.

Good luck.

-john

Phreeflow
09-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Yikes...this post made me cringe. I say put any male thats at least 14-18 months old in there and enjoy.