PDA

View Full Version : My Blue Diamond laid eggs

Maura_Paz
09-15-2014, 10:18 AM
So i woke up this morning to a ton of eggs on my heater in my community tank. This is the first time I've ever had a pair in my tank and I have no idea what to do next. Help!!!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/bc7bcd3d37d08e4ba9aa12537b4afa93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
I would suggest spending some time reading stuff in the breeding section but here are the highlights...

1. As of right now you do not know if you have a pair or not. It could have been one female, it could have been 2.
2. Even if it is a pair your eggs will not survive in a community tank.
3. Even if the eggs are fertile, your water might not be soft enough for the eggs to develop.
4. If the PB in the picture is the father then you really don't want to breed them anyway.
5.I could list out another 10 or 15 things but will end it here. Don't get worked up about it now. The eggs or fry will not survive this time.

-john

Maura_Paz
09-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks John!

Maura_Paz
09-16-2014, 06:23 AM
John, just an observation - it may be a silly question to ask but do they change colors when they are about to lay eggs? I noticed a couple of days before my blue diamond laid eggs that she had some lighter tones of orange around find and now she is back to all solid .......

John_Nicholson
09-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Yes their color can vary depending on strain. Many non-PB strains will get a darker, richer color at spawning time.

-john

kris2341
09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
considering the eggs are on the heater, even if they are viable, id figure that unless they are removed or there is enough water flow such that the heater surface remains cool when active(a massive amount is required), they will either cook due to the high localized temperature on the surface of the heater, or the surface temperature fluctuations may cause them to develop poorly.