PDA

View Full Version : Filter Change

cloudz
09-16-2014, 10:59 PM
I took a filter from my flowerhorn tank and moved it over to my discus tank. I just realized that I could have transfered any diseases from my flowerhorn tank to my discus tank. Should I remove the filter right away or do a water change? I think it's been on there for an hour =(.

Ryan
09-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately, it won't much matter now. There are some pathogens that are airborne, and some that can travel between tanks in a single drop of water. A wet hand between tanks is enough to spread disease throughout your entire fish room. If the filter has been on there an hour, any damage is likely done, if there were pathogens present.

Keep up your water changes as usual and just observe the fish. I move filters around all the time and have never had an issue from that, but this is between established tanks with fish that I've had for a long time. Any new fish are quarantined for 6 - 8 weeks in a separate room, in a quarantine tank, with its own filters, buckets, and hoses.

cloudz
09-17-2014, 12:10 AM
Okay thank you! I'll be sure to keep an eye on them. I don't think there are any pathogens or diseases in the other tank or at least I don't think there is any. That tanks been running for a while. My discus tank on the other hand has been running for maybe a month? How long would it take for signs to show?