PDA

View Full Version : need some tankmates.. but not tetras!!!!!

greenphantom1994
09-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I have 6 adult discus in my 100 gal, along with a bluephantom pleco and a catfish. I did have 15 rummynose and 15 cardinal tetras in there but my filter kept sucking them up and all of a sudden I am down to about 10 tetras in 2 weeks (soon to be none!). what other fish would go well with my discus? preferable something larger than tetras and likes to swim in shoals.

jarsofkimchee
09-20-2014, 03:06 PM
That's odd that the tetras are getting sucked up by the filters. Is your flow rate too high?

I would recommend a school of 7-10 corydoras catfish. I prefer Sterbai or Aeneus.

greenphantom1994
09-20-2014, 03:15 PM
well, I have jewel internal filters in my tank. Im a believer in keeping the water in the tank. its filtering 2,500 litres an hour. ive only found about 4 of the tetras in the filter. don't have a clue where all the others have gone! ive never seen anything try to eat or attack them. im hoping to add 2-3 zebra plecos to cover my sand bottom. as I already have 2 other bottom dwellers, so adding 10 corys would be excessive.

kris2341
09-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Well, tetras are pretty dumb fish, but looking at the juwel filter, the surface strainer should only pose a risk to really small tetras, I would try and get bigger ones perhaps?

as far as other fish, sterbai cories are good, quality ghost shrimp may work in significant numbers, apistogramma?

as far as fish attacks go, watch them at night.Fish tend to behave totally different when in the dark so its good to watch them at night to be certain.

trungnguyen
09-22-2014, 03:03 AM
Some German Blue Rams are good too. Compatible with discus

jim LI
09-22-2014, 10:35 AM
I have bolivian rams, green corys, julii cats, bristle nose pleco

DISCUS STU
09-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Rams, whichever you prefer, are good, Corydoras, Brochis catfish; which are like large versions of Cory Aneus, Farlowellas, Bristlenose and Clown Plecos.