PDA

View Full Version : juvenile discus feeding/food

Dallas Discus
09-22-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm mixing a food blend for juvenile discus 1.5 - 2.5 inches, BH, plankton, blood worms, daphinia, fresh shrimp and white fish, they are eating meaty foods. Should I add greens like peas and spinach to this mix or make that a separate mixture? I know they are eating the meaty foods but have never tried the greens, should I assume they will eat the greens?

John_Nicholson
09-22-2014, 11:53 AM
My beafheart mixture ( like most peoples ) contain some sort of vegetable matter. I use spinach. Some people use peas.

-john

Dallas Discus
09-22-2014, 02:20 PM
My beafheart mixture ( like most peoples ) contain some sort of vegetable matter. I use spinach. Some people use peas.

-john

Thanks John, I used both a few peas and some spinach in the mixture. I soaked my greens in a garlic mush for around an hour, strained and lightly rinsed them before adding them to the meaty mix.

John_Nicholson
09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
OK. Just a heads up garlic does nothing. It does not hurt anything but don't think you are getting rid of internal parasites by using it.

-joh

Tankster
09-22-2014, 03:29 PM
It does add something John. It adds a step to the process, increases cost slightly, and stinks up the room when you spill it (Seachem liquid form). As far as its advertised benefit, it appears to do nothing after my week long experiment in using it.

OK. Just a heads up garlic does nothing. It does not hurt anything but don't think you are getting rid of internal parasites by using it.

-joh

John_Nicholson
09-22-2014, 03:37 PM
LOL....Garlic will work if you use fresh garlic and the ratio is roughly 50/50 food to garlic....but like I said it has to be fresh. You would need to crush it into your food and immediately feed it.

-john

Dallas Discus
09-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Interesting, I'm not so much looking to rid internal parasites right now but using it as a preventative medicine, just in-case type of thing..LOL I know when I mixed my salt water foods in the past I would blend it directly into my freezer food so figured it was the same idea. I did remove the shell off the fresh shrimp, in Salt water you want to leave it on but Ive noticed in fresh water recipes seem to call for shell off.

John_Nicholson
09-22-2014, 05:25 PM
I have taking the shell off and I have left it on. I have not found that it made a difference.

-john

P.S. Since you are in Dallas you might want to come to the Texas Cichlid Assn. show this weekend. Normally I am there for the entire show but this time I am speaking at 10:00 on Saturday and then I need to leave.

-john

DISCUS STU
09-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Most people add some sort of greens to their beefheart/turkey heart mixtures. Sometimes I add seaweed which I supposed to be very nutritious. I just need to strain out the salt in RO water before adding it due to the fact that most of the prepackaged seaweed is heavily salted. Garlic is also a staple and also supposed to be good on internal parasites.