PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

restless
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Hi I have 36 x18 stand foot print so the tank has to be 36 x18 by what ever is this big enough for discus when they become adults.
It is the only size I can have in the area I have for a tank.
Thanks Bill

kris2341
09-22-2014, 04:46 PM
That size base corresponds to a 40 gallon breeder tank as the biggest standard tank that fits.

I wouldn't call it optimal for a group of discus, but it can house 4, maybe 5 if you are totally on top of water changes. There wont be much room for the adult discus so aggression may be a problem with a group of 5 adult discus in a tank that short in length and height. This means adding individuals of the same size and same size to the tank is the optimal way to start.

That also means you need to have a very good seeded biofilter right from the beginning, and there are no other fish in the tank aside from the discus.

restless
09-22-2014, 05:14 PM
That size base corresponds to a 40 gallon breeder tank as the biggest standard tank that fits.

I wouldn't call it optimal for a group of discus, but it can house 4, maybe 5 if you are totally on top of water changes. There wont be much room for the adult discus so aggression may be a problem with a group of 5 adult discus in a tank that short in length and height. This means adding individuals of the same size and same size to the tank is the optimal way to start.

That also means you need to have a very good seeded biofilter right from the beginning, and there are no other fish in the tank aside from the discus.

Thank you very much for your reply the tank will be custom made so it can be up to 30inches in height I am just wondering about area .

kris2341
09-22-2014, 07:46 PM
A 36x18x30 aquarium corresponds to about 85 gallons of water. That is a comfortable volume for keeping 9 discus, and the stocking level is good enough such that the aggression of the discus should be fairly spread out between the fish. While yes, a longer tank that is around 2ft tall would be ideal, a tall tank isnt bad.

Just make sure good glass/acrylic is used or this could prove problematic as a 30 inch tall tank has a fair bit of pressure on it.

discuspaul
09-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Both of kris' posts provide good advice.