PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please.

viper0397
09-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I was wondering if it is okay to keep Siamese algae eaters with discus? I use LED lights and they grow some weird algae on my driftwood. I was told the Siamese algae eaters would clean off my driftwood. I don't want anything in my tank that would harm my discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickztahone
09-22-2014, 07:46 PM
I think that any fish that is a sucker has the potential to suck on a discus. The thing is, you will never know if they WILL until they do.

viper0397
09-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Okay. Thank you!!

discuspaul
09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
They're usually just fine when they're young & smaller - then they just do a good job eating up algae.
But when they get larger, older, fatter & lazier, they MAY take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet.
Discus can usually slough them off, but it's stressful for the discus. It's happened to me on 2 separate occasions, with two different sets of SAE's. Won't keep them with discus ever again.

viper0397
09-22-2014, 08:28 PM
@discuspaul very good to know. Thanks for your input.

discuspaul
09-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Also, stay away from Otos (Otocinclus) for the same reason as SAE's - I've had a similar problem with them too.

DISCUS STU
09-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I tried one with Discus because I had them as a kid in a community tank. It was aggressive toward my Discus, chased them around, and had to go.

I've had better luck with Clown Plecos, Bristlenose Plecos, and Farlowellas. The last type can occasionally harass my Discus but it's rare. Otocinclus are good but generally too small and not very long lived, at least in my experience.

viper0397
09-22-2014, 09:54 PM
I have an otto and so far have not seen anything bad with him. But he won't eat this particular kind of algae.

ericNH
09-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Any thoughts on rubbermouth plecos? Will they do the job without bothering discus?

discuspaul
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
While a number of discus-keepers have kept various strains of Plecos with discus without any problems, I wouldn't trust any Plecos as discus tank-mates, except BNP's.

miguelnight
09-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Agree w/discuspaul! BNPs just do their business--never bother my discus. Anything put in the tank is a risk. The question is: can you live with the consequences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk