PDA

View Full Version : Crazy fish keeps laying eggs!

ptactics922
09-23-2014, 07:10 PM
All fry are doing good now, but mom is a psycho hornball. I walked in to feed them before I did their water change and she is putting down another huge clutch of eggs on the filter with ~130 fry attached. She has been caring for them, although most of the work seems to be done by the male, so I don't know why in the world she feels the need for more. The male is not fertilizing... I'm just hoping she doesn't go cannibal on the ones they currently have.

Here is a quick pic I snapped on my phone, sorry if the quality isn't very good.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/ptactics22/IMAG0298_zps60c1b91d.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/ptactics22/media/IMAG0298_zps60c1b91d.jpg.html)

ptactics922
09-23-2014, 07:21 PM
hmmm when she is done do you think I should change out the cheese cloth with the eggs on it during the water change and hopefully she doesn't decided to munch the fry?

Or do you think I should send her back to the community tank?

First time breeding so any input is welcome as always! and thank you in advance!

Larry Bugg
09-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Just take the cheese cloth off and leave it off. You don't need it.

John_Nicholson
09-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep just remove the cheese cloth. I have never used it and I have never needed it. She spwned again because her hormone level. They have brains the size of a pencil eraser. Don't think she has any logical thought happening in there.

-john

ptactics922
09-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Got it, thanks for the help guys.

Kinda figured as much as far as her thoughts... food, poop, spawn... rinse and repeat lol. Although I suppose I'm not too far from that myself haha!

Phreeflow
09-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Got it, thanks for the help guys.

Kinda figured as much as far as her thoughts... food, poop, spawn... rinse and repeat lol. Although I suppose I'm not too far from that myself haha!

Lol..I'm with you there! But on a more serious note, so you all don't cover your filter intakes? Are the fry smart enough not to get sucked in? Ive always covered mine but its a pain to rinse

Phreeflow
09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Oops...I take that back...just realized there is a cheesecloth on the sponge filter, not filter intake.

ptactics922
09-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Yea, they went through wigglers without the cloth. The only reason I slapped it on was it looked like the fry were having trouble attaching and would stay with the grey filter instead of moving onto the parents so I turned it white with the cheese cloth. I pulled it right when she was done and the fry like to hang out on the sponge filter some but when a parent gets near they attach, so all looks good.

Phreeflow
09-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Hmmm...maybe they are feasting on infusoria on the sponge