PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeding in community tank

Stewy
09-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Hello all,
I have used the forum for looking up information in the past yet have not joined until now. I am a relatively novice discus keeper but have fallen victim to the discus itch. My issues stem around them mating in my main tank. I have a 240 gallon community tank that currently houses eight discus (after I sold one), about 50 harlequin rasboras, about a dozen oto's and a small army of corydoras hasbrosas. I recently had an absolutely gorgeous pair that decided to start laying eggs in the community tank. At first, I thought that it was awesome. I quickly found that I am not in a position to attempt to breed them. Once this was discovered, I decided to let them do as they would in the tank and let be what would be. The problem that I encountered was that the two quickly became too aggressive with the other inhabitants. They began chasing everything away to the other end of the tank and all of my fish, including my Harleys, were hiding in the plants and driftwood. It got to the point that I had to do something because nobody was swimming around and it was upsetting to not see my fish out and about as I enjoy. So with a heavy heart, I sold the male. It was a difficult decision as he was one of my favorite fish. That was four days ago. Now, I was under the impression that the rest of my discus were female and I thought that my issues were over. As fate would have it, I found eggs on my heater as I sat watching my tank this evening. It seems that two of my others have in fact paired off and are making a go at it. So...now what do I do. I plan on adding a further eight discus to the tank and I am not real happy about having to constantly fight breeding pairs if they become aggressive like the previous pair did and upset my peaceful community.

Foe those of you that have schools/shoals, is there a way to stop this short of breaking pairs when they are made? Or do I just not worry about it and let them go? I am at a loss and I don't know what to expect in the future as I add more fish. Can anybody give me some guidance? Should I have held onto my other male and let them go?

Any help would be great.

John_Nicholson
09-23-2014, 10:49 PM
First finding eggs does not mean you have a pair. Often 2 females will "pair". Second the most natural thing in the world for a healthy animal to do is reproduce. Short of putting together a tank full of males there is not a lot that you can do.

-john

rdiscus
09-23-2014, 10:53 PM
You made wrong decision to sell the male, you should sell the female ... Keep all males, you won't have problem

Stewy
09-23-2014, 10:53 PM
John,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that and I don't truly want to try and stop the natural course of the fish. Like I mentioned, my concern was the aggressiveness. Is there anything that can be done for that and should I have any concerns with a larger group of fish. My only true concern is all of my fish hiding and not being able to watch them out and about.

Stewy
09-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Well the fortunate thing is that I may actually be able to get him back...I may have to consider that option.

John_Nicholson
09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Well just like animals breed they also fight. You can never stop it completely but usually with time it does get a little better. Once every fish learns its spot it gets a little easier.

-john

YSS
09-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I've never had this type of aggression issue in a large tank while a pair attempting to breed. I assume you have an 8' tank. If the pair is breeding on one side of the tank, that tank should be large enough for other fish to roam around on the other side. May be you can put the heater on one side of the tank if it isn't already or create an attractive breeding spot on one side.

DISCUS STU
09-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Usually they aren't as territorial as to take over the entire tank. Let them go and see what happens. Even if this is a true pair, they may give up on this behaviour.