PDA

View Full Version : Prime breeding age

Quintin
09-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Id like to know at what age do discus generally start breeding?and for how long are they at prime breeding age.ie when does one stop thier breeding and put them in show tank to retire so to say.and what are the average amount of eggs to expect in a healthy unstunted pair?

John_Nicholson
09-25-2014, 08:48 AM
I have had them start as young as 9 months. I would say the prime for a healthy well cared for fish it 18 months to 4 years. To hit the 4 year mark and still be cranking out fry the fish has to be in good health and must have had good health for their entire lives.

-john

Quintin
09-26-2014, 02:40 AM
thanx.

Skip
09-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I have had them start as young as 9 months. I would say the prime for a healthy well cared for fish it 18 months to 4 years. To hit the 4 year mark and still be cranking out fry the fish has to be in good health and must have had good health for their entire lives.

-john

i think its an achievement a discus in your tanks for 4 years or more!

Quintin
09-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I suppose.ive still got my first discus ever.for just over a year was bought at 8cm.i did most stunting.i assume its a she at around 1 and a half years.i bought the supposed male at size of around 13cm is now around 15cm not sure can plop him on plate and check havent done that with any of my discus for 6 months.so id assume my male is around 1year and female 1 and a half.they have been laying eggs every week like clock work.first time eggs were seethrough then were white mostly after that.thought hob filter was washing sperm away so moved to otherside put on low and added 2 sponge filters.gt eggs again bt are whit.they eat them after 2-3 days.im not trying to breed really but ive had to move all other discus as the 2 love birds are abusive to the rest of them.Im starting to lean towards having 2 females but im quite sure eggs were fertilised 2 times out of 5.how long do they stay in season.i didnt want my discus too breed yet byt im kinda chuffed and would like to raise batch of fry

Quintin
09-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I would like to know whether its ok to feed my discus babies if and when i do get some , ghost shrimp fry as my wife has hundreds of them breeding?i can also feed frozen bbs.i just dnt have the time to hatch brine shrimp and it doesnt seem to work when i try anyway.input please