PDA

View Full Version : fry raising question

adshark
09-25-2014, 10:30 AM
I had a pair that just spawned and I am going to let them parent raise. When do I add start adding BBS in the tank and how often. I still plan on doing daily WC of about 50%. I have the light on 24/7 and the heat on. They are in a 20 T. Any advice would be great. They are a San Mara pair. They are sticking to parent sides and feeding.

John_Nicholson
09-25-2014, 10:34 AM
I usually start somewhere between 5 and 10 days after free swimming. I feed them BBS. twice a day.

-john

adshark
09-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Forgot to add, I took the sponge filter out so the only dark area to attach would be parents. When can I add it back?

John_Nicholson
09-25-2014, 10:54 AM
I never take mine out.

-john

adshark
09-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks John. I read somewhere to do that since it was dark also like the parents.

John_Nicholson
09-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Yep I have read it also. I have read all kinds of crap on the net...LOL.

I have never raise albinos or snow white but I have spawned nearly every other color strain on the planet nad have never had a need to remove the sponge.

-john

doublediscusjack
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
"I have never raise albinos or snow white but I have spawned nearly every other color strain on the planet nad have never had a need to remove the sponge."

Discus fry have a great deal of difficulty seeing well, the light orangish/redish colors of Albinos, such as snake skin Albinos (and, I am sure too, same thing with snow whites and similar), so have difficulty in attaching, or never really do attach to such parents at all, so measures have to be taken to do what is needed to feed them. This was observed with a female albino snake skin, mated with a male Penang Eruption. Fry fed almost entirely on the male, even though the female tried hard to get them to feed off her.

John_Nicholson
09-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Yea I know...thanks.

"I have never raise albinos or snow white but I have spawned nearly every other color strain on the planet nad have never had a need to remove the sponge."

Discus fry have a great deal of difficulty seeing well, the light orangish/redish colors of Albinos, such as snake skin Albinos (and, I am sure too, same thing with snow whites and similar), so have difficulty in attaching, or never really do attach to such parents at all, so measures have to be taken to do what is needed to feed them. This was observed with a female albino snake skin, mated with a male Penang Eruption. Fry fed almost entirely on the male, even though the female tried hard to get them to feed off her.

Larry Bugg
09-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Yea I know...thanks.

LOL, that wasn't a John N reply. Getting soft?

nc0gnet0
09-25-2014, 06:20 PM

I have seen exceptions to that, don't be so fast to attribute it to eye sight...........

adshark
10-01-2014, 09:19 AM
How long do you do the bbs twice a day till you bump it up? Thanks

twocat
10-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I have seen exceptions to that, don't be so fast to attribute it to eye sight

Could you talk a little more about this?

nc0gnet0
10-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Could you talk a little more about this?

While I am sure that albino fry do have some issues with eye sight, I think it is more a light sensitivity issue rather than a seeing issue. I actually believe that albino parents some time (but not always) lag behind in mucous production, and that is a contributing factor in attachment issues. For some reason however, not all albino parents have this issue, but many do. But-I have had an albino male and non-albino female in which the fry actually preferred the male. There are just more factors at play here than simple eyesight IMO.

-Rick

twocat
10-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Thank you

Mark

John_Nicholson
10-06-2014, 08:35 AM
How long do you do the bbs twice a day till you bump it up? Thanks

I don't. I feed BBS just like I do my beefheart....twice a day.

-john