PDA

View Full Version : Petco 1$ per gallon sale

jds1990
09-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I was browsing through the other forums on tap talk and I found out that there is a sale at Petco for $1 per gallon has anyone heard of the sale going on? Think it's time to get that 200g tank for my ray!

Ryan
09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
The same only goes up to 40 or 55 gallon tanks, depending on your local store.

AngryBird
09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
petco $1 per gallon is good only upto 75 gallon tanks to my knowledge. I have never seen larger tank on sale. If you google, you will find ad that clearly mention the tank size limit.

sdrexler078
09-26-2014, 03:34 PM
The sale is up to 55 gals only. Ryan is correct. And I went yesterday and it wasn't a sale yet don't know if they're all the same time

jds1990
09-26-2014, 05:18 PM
You are all right. I called them and they said the biggest they have is 55g. Guess I'll have to keep watching Craigslist for something good. is there any place I could buy some glass and assemble my own? Has anyone here ever assembled their own tank?

JodyTowles
09-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Called petco today, sale starts Sunday in my area!!

kris2341
09-27-2014, 12:17 PM
whats your area?

Gene
09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Starts Sunday up here in Oregon

RogueDiscus
09-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Starts Sunday up here in Oregon

Hey Gene,
Where are you in Oregon?
Steve

RogueDiscus
09-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack. Where would you look to buy a 125-200 gal tank? I think Glass Cages only delivers to certain locations. Am I wrong there?

Ryan
09-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Are you looking for an unusual size? If not, I'd just price them out at the LFS or look for like-new ones on Craigslist. All of my big tanks (150+) have been purchased that way.

jds1990
09-27-2014, 11:51 PM
I agree Ryan I am looking for 200 possibly 300 gallon. I was warned to not keep my stingray with my discus however after reading tons of encyclopedias and people who have documented the Atlantic ray. Apparently here in the St Johns river there is a freshwater population. My stingray has been doing amazing and hasn't bothered nor attacked my discus at all. He has been eating beef heart and been an amazing bottom feeder I NEVER see any uneaten food. I would really like to keep them together and I feel they would be much happier (especially the ray) in a 200 or 300 gallon tank. I know I will probably get criticized but since there are few that have kept this species I would like to experiment especially since THE ATLANTIC RAY IS THE ONLY ONE YOU CAN PURCHASE/OWN IN FL. Not high jacking the thread at all guys glad I was able to help make people aware of the sale that are looking for a new tank. I am browsing Craigslist everyday. Not having much luck and people want an arm and a leg pretty close to prices in the stores. I like the dimensions of my tank 18 in wide allows my ray to turn around and have room but I would like more width to make the whole community happy. Possibly taller as well since discus like to have their space.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/fa591999a5abf02964d7935118775395.jpg

JodyTowles
09-28-2014, 02:43 AM
whats your area?

Tampa, Fl

Gene
09-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey Gene,
Where are you in Oregon?
Steve

Klamath falls. Just moved here last week.

kris2341
09-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I just confirmed that the sale is active around here in California, so i believe it is safe to assume that all stores have it.

Everyone stock up on tanks!

FischAutoTechGarten
09-29-2014, 05:22 PM
How long do those sales usually run? I'll be traveling up from Mexico into Arizona beginning next Monday, Oct 6th. I'd like to grab two or three 20 Gallon Long tanks.

Skip
09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
How long do those sales usually run? I'll be traveling up from Mexico into Arizona beginning next Monday, Oct 6th. I'd like to grab two or three 20 Gallon Long tanks.

Choose from 10G, 20G, 29G, 40G or 55G Tetra open glass tanks
Hot buys! Two weeks only.

$1 per gallon, with Pals Rewards
Valid Sep. 28 - Oct. 11 only

CoryWM
09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
I always buy a ton of 40 breeders because they pair so well with the racks from lowes. I made a video on it if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZrKiqfRQ4

kris2341
09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
wow! this is perfect! thanks for sharing!

with that, I believe i will actually grab 4 40B tanks and set up 2 racks for my use.

jds1990
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Glad everyone is hopping on this sale! Enjoy your new setups guys!

farebox
09-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Just got home with two 40G breeder tanks, out the store total price was $86.60 here in San Antonio, TX. store @ Bandera RD/Loop 1604.........

Tankster
09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
FYI - Here in Virginia it is transacted as an instant rebate so you pay tax on the price before the discount and then are immediately rebated the pre-tax discount. When I bought these at the last $1 per gallon sale I had a conniption, arguing with the register person that you cant charge me tax at the full price when you are selling it to me for $40. She called her manager over who was just as uniformed. She, nor her manager had any idea why it was that way which frustrated me even further. It was no fault of their own as Corporate should have anticipated this and given them the information to share with their customers, thus avoiding vocal, PITA people like myself.

brewmaster15
09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
You are all right. I called them and they said the biggest they have is 55g. Guess I'll have to keep watching Craigslist for something good. is there any place I could buy some glass and assemble my own? Has anyone here ever assembled their own tank.........................................I agree Ryan I am looking for 200 possibly 300 gallon. I was warned to not keep my stingray with my discus however after reading tons of encyclopedias and people who have documented the Atlantic ray. Apparently here in the St Johns river there is a freshwater population. My stingray has been doing amazing and hasn't bothered nor attacked my discus at all. He has been eating beef heart and been an amazing bottom feeder I NEVER see any uneaten food. I would really like to keep them together and I feel they would be much happier (especially the ray) in a 200 or 300 gallon tank. I know I will probably get criticized but since there are few that have kept this species I would like to experiment especially since THE ATLANTIC RAY IS THE ONLY ONE YOU CAN PURCHASE/OWN IN FL. Not high jacking the thread at all guys glad I was able to help make people aware of the sale that are looking for a new tank. I am browsing Craigslist everyday. Not having much luck and people want an arm and a leg pretty close to prices in the stores. I like the dimensions of my tank 18 in wide allows my ray to turn around and have room but I would like more width to make the whole community happy. Possibly taller as well since discus like to have their space.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/fa591999a5abf02964d7935118775395.jpg

Hey Joel,
This is an old article we had here but thought I would throw it out there for you...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28487-Building-your-own-Plywood-tank

-al

jds1990
09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Thank you Al! Very interesting thread and economical! Would definitely be worth a shot for me to try.

kris2341
09-30-2014, 09:44 PM
FYI - Here in Virginia it is transacted as an instant rebate so you pay tax on the price before the discount and then are immediately rebated the pre-tax discount. When I bought these at the last $1 per gallon sale I had a conniption, arguing with the register person that you cant charge me tax at the full price when you are selling it to me for $40. She called her manager over who was just as uniformed. She, nor her manager had any idea why it was that way which frustrated me even further. It was no fault of their own as Corporate should have anticipated this and given them the information to share with their customers, thus avoiding vocal, PITA people like myself.

yup, thats how they do it. i got 4 tanks, only 2 could fit in my car so i went through 2 trips, 2 40B tanks costed me about $101... as much as i wouldve liked to save 12-14 or so dollars, its still a good deal.

ill bet theres some states that dont allow such a thing which is why the TX sale was much cheaper than mine in CA.

JodyTowles
09-30-2014, 10:52 PM

Yeah, I bought a 40B yesterday and it was 49.00....Didn't mind however as it was a steal even at that price.

RogueDiscus
09-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Oregon-still no sales tax. They get us with income tax instead.

NH Murph
10-27-2014, 07:41 AM
New Hampshire has no sales or income tax (or seatbelt law if you are over 18)... but they get you on property tax and vehicle registration! Big plus for buying fish tanks, big minus for buying a house to put them in or a vehicle to bring them home in.