PDA

View Full Version : The Time Has Come...for a new tank and...

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Need recommendations for a acrylic 180 with overflows. I already have the stand and canopy from my old 180. Dimensions are 6x2x2 feet. I am sort of leaning towards http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/ located here in Florida.

Ryan
09-27-2014, 02:40 PM
It looks like Fish Tanks Direct doesn't actually build the tank, but resells them from acrylic tank manufacturers. They used to sell Tenecor brand, but Tenecor went under. I'd research the brands they sell online and find one that has a favorable rating. I've only got glass so I can't really make a suggestion for a brand.

MKD
09-27-2014, 02:47 PM
There you go, this is excited moment. Sure you'll love it. I would suggest to go with 1/2" acrylic, external herbie overflow, no loose tank space (like mine because you can use both sides, room divider, no plumbing in back and easy to maintenance on the side)

Looking forward to your progress

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

joanstone
09-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Have you looked at the company Ted Judy is affiliated with now?

Customaquariums.com

Ryan
09-27-2014, 02:59 PM
I'd second the 1/2" acrylic comment. I noticed the cheaper one on that site was 3/8" all around, while the higher priced tank was 1/2" on the sides and 3/4" on the bottom. You get what you pay for. ;)

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2014, 11:06 PM
It looks like Fish Tanks Direct doesn't actually build the tank, but resells them from acrylic tank manufacturers. They used to sell Tenecor brand, but went under. I'd research the brands they sell online and find one that has a favorable rating. I've only got glass so I can't really make a suggestion for a brand.

Ryan, when you mentioned Tenecor that was enough to cross fish tank direct off the list. The acrylic on the few Tenecor tanks I seen in person has seemed to thin. Now I know why.

I'd second the 1/2" acrylic comment. I noticed the cheaper one on that site was 3/8" all around, while the higher priced tank was 1/2" on the sides and 3/4" on the bottom. You get what you pay for. ;)

My old acrylic 180 was 1/2 acrylic and I will not go thinner. It is not worth the risk of a blown tank.

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2014, 11:07 PM
There you go, this is excited moment. Sure you'll love it. I would suggest to go with 1/2" acrylic, external herbie overflow, no loose tank space (like mine because you can use both sides, room divider, no plumbing in back and easy to maintenance on the side)

Looking forward to your progress

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

Thanks Tony, will definitely look at an external herbie overflow and ditto on the 1/2 acrylic. :D

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Have you looked at the company Ted Judy is affiliated with now?

Customaquariums.com

I haven't Joan and I will. Thanks for the hint. :)

Ok, took a look and http://customaquariums.com/ appears to only make glass aquariums.

joanstone
09-28-2014, 06:40 AM
Sorry. I have gone back and forth a bit on whether I would get glass or acrylic when I get a new tank. I was at House of Fins in Greenwich last Spring and asked the opinion of the people working there, both in their retail shop and in their design and installation business. Without exception, they said glass so I guess had glass in mind when I looked at the site.

DonMD
09-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Glasscages.com will build anything you want.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Sorry. I have gone back and forth a bit on whether I would get glass or acrylic when I get a new tank. I was at House of Fins in Greenwich last Spring and asked the opinion of the people working there, both in their retail shop and in their design and installation business. Without exception, they said glass so I guess had glass in mind when I looked at the site.

np Joan, acrylic is a personal choice in the large tanks. My 240 is an acrylic tank made with 3/4 acrylic so I am fully aware of the gentle touch these tanks need.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Glasscages.com will build anything you want.

Thanks Don, I saw that last night and they have the dimensions I'm looking for.

ericNH
09-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Well I wish it were *me* preparing to get a brand new acrylic 180. But at least we'll get to see what you do with it. Please keep us up to date with pics and all. I can't wait to see :)

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Well I wish it were *me* preparing to get a brand new acrylic 180. But at least we'll get to see what you do with it. Please keep us up to date with pics and all. I can't wait to see :)

Thanks Eric, I usually do have a build thread. I have one on my 240 in my homesteader http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89162-230-Gallon-In-the-Making-Biotype.

DonMD
09-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Hey, Pat, seeing that you're an experienced acrylic tank user, I'd like to know what advice you'd give me. I've had a 125 gallon glass tank for about 12 years that I've scratched up real good, mostly from the sand substrate getting in the cleaning sponge while I clean the inside of the glass. I've already switched the front and back, but it's not much better. I've removed the substrate, but you know, the horse already left the barn . . .

I'm considering a new tank, either a starphire, or acrylic. The acrylic is VERY expensive. So, going into the future, I'll have a new 125 gallon tank with bare bottom. Should I go with the starphire or the acrylic? I'm interested in your opinion. Thanks! -Don

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Don, I can not comment on the starphire as I have never had it. I hear that it is very clear compared to standard glass. I am very careful with my acrylic surfaces and have never needed to buff any out. You would laugh if you saw how I cleaned my tank.

spiffyfish
09-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Pat there is also truvu aquariums, although I don't have any experience with them nor do I know what thicknesses they use. They seem to be decently priced. Haven't heard of them till I moved from AZ to the Bay Area, but I plan on getting a 100g in the near future. Also acrylic tanks hold heat better than glass, and are half the weight. I've have only owned 1 acrylic that I never got around to using but it will be my next choice of tank.

spiffyfish
09-28-2014, 11:22 AM
How exactly do you clean your tank Pat? I have always used cellulose sponges for my glass tanks and figure they would be fine on acrylic without causing scratches.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 11:27 AM
How exactly do you clean your tank Pat? I have always used cellulose sponges for my glass tanks and figure they would be fine on acrylic without causing scratches.

I have one of those magnetic cleaners with the inside and outside parts and I wrap both with quitting batting which is held with on with a strong rubber band. Need a picture? I have to go slow but it gets the job done. I should also say that with the low light leds I do not have any algae issues.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Found these guys with a quick google search http://www.acrylicaquariumsdirect.com/

http://www.acrylicaquariumsdirect.com/180GallonAcrylicAquarium72x24x24.aspx, I do not care for the blue however but it is 1/2 inch acrylic.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Pat there is also truvu aquariums, although I don't have any experience with them nor do I know what thicknesses they use. They seem to be decently priced. Haven't heard of them till I moved from AZ to the Bay Area, but I plan on getting a 100g in the near future. Also acrylic tanks hold heat better than glass, and are half the weight. I've have only owned 1 acrylic that I never got around to using but it will be my next choice of tank.

Thanks Chris, Here's their website http://www.truvuaquariums.com/ and reef ready 180 http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu-180l-reef-ready-72x24x24.html. It does not indicate the thickness of the acrylic however.

DiscusOnly
09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Pat,

I have the Tenecor 180 and yes, the acrylic they use is very thin. You can see it bow from the side. I've had it running for a few years without any trouble but it's definitely not the thickness I would use if I built my on tank. I would definitely go with min. 1/2 acrylic or more (depending on the height)

kwan8911
09-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Diyfishkeeper has an acrylic thickness calculator based on height and width of the tank, you could check that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwssr
09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Transparent aluminum anyone. LOL

Second Hand Pat
09-30-2014, 07:37 PM

I love that movie, one of my favorites :D

Altum Nut
10-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Hey Pat...just throwing this out there, but maybe uarujoey may offer suggestions being that he has built many acrylic tanks.

...Ralph

rickztahone
10-02-2014, 06:23 PM
On a side note Pat, I have always wanted to have a huge tank, but my goal was always to have a rather long tank, as oppsed to a tall one, say, 18". Does acrylic hold up as well as glass in larger footprints? I'm talking 12'-16'. You may not know, and I'm sure something like that may have to be custom, but you know more about acrylic than most so I thought I'd take a shot, lol. Good luck with your search. I have been looking for you too, but many specialize in glass, and those that have acrylic are not cheap.

On a side, side note, I recently got a 40g breeder acrylic tank and man oh man is that thing light! When I bought it off a guy and went to go pick it up, I was bracing myself to pick it up and it was so light! Dude looked at me like I was nuts, lmao.

Ardan
10-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi Pat,
I never had an acrylic tank, but I did buy 4 tanks from Glasscages.com, all of them glass, 2-60gal, 1-120 gallon and 1-240 gallon. The 240 gallon is 8 feet long and 2ft high and 2ft front to back. I am very happy with their quality and they delivered nearby for free (they have routes.... they are listed on their site). I see their acrylic is expensive, you would have to check the thickness.....

anyway that is my 2 cents, that is my experience with them, very happy.....
can't wait to see your new tank.... will you have new fish for it too?:D I bet it will be sweet!

Ardan

ericNH
10-03-2014, 05:55 AM

They ship it to you in a nuclear wessel.

Tankster
10-03-2014, 11:12 AM
When I was researching my tank I was looking at both glass and acrylic. I had narrowed down to my top glass company and top acrylic company. I ended up going glass due to budget. At any rate, Acrylic Creations (https://www.facebook.com/AcrylicCreations) was my choice for acrylic based on customer reviews, quality and price. You should give them a look.

Tankster
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Don, my 240 is Starfire on 3 sides. Check out Glass Cages. You will hear mixed reviews as they went through some quality control issues a number of years ago. More recent consumer feedback is good. Starfire is totally worth the up charge. The low iron glass, which is what starfire is, eliminates the green hue and gives true color on the fish.
Acrylic can't be beat for clarity and a lower empty tank weight... If I had the funds at the time, I would have gone acrylic. I need a forklift to move the 240!

Hey, Pat, seeing that you're an experienced acrylic tank user, I'd like to know what advice you'd give me. I've had a 125 gallon glass tank for about 12 years that I've scratched up real good, mostly from the sand substrate getting in the cleaning sponge while I clean the inside of the glass. I've already switched the front and back, but it's not much better. I've removed the substrate, but you know, the horse already left the barn . . .

I'm considering a new tank, either a starphire, or acrylic. The acrylic is VERY expensive. So, going into the future, I'll have a new 125 gallon tank with bare bottom. Should I go with the starphire or the acrylic? I'm interested in your opinion. Thanks! -Don

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2014, 11:25 AM
When I was researching my tank I was looking at both glass and acrylic. I had narrowed down to my top glass company and top acrylic company. I ended up going glass due to budget. At any rate, Acrylic Creations (https://www.facebook.com/AcrylicCreations) was my choice for acrylic based on customer reviews, quality and price. You should give them a look.

Greg, they also sell their acrylic tanks on ebay at a killer price http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Acrylic-Reef-Saltwater-Freshwater-72x24x24-/161431055351?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Tankster
10-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Top quality too. This guy is a perfectionist and won't let anything leave his shop with the slightest imperfection. I was talking with him about buying one of his rejects to try and save a buck. It had some micro bubbles in the top brace and he really did not want to sell it but was tempted since he knew it was only cosmetic and not structural. I really had to twist his ear to get him to say yes... even though I ended up going with glass.

Greg, they also sell their acrylic tanks on ebay at a killer price http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Acrylic-Reef-Saltwater-Freshwater-72x24x24-/161431055351?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey Pat...just throwing this out there, but maybe uarujoey may offer suggestions being that he has built many acrylic tanks.

...Ralph

Thanks Ralph, contacting Joey is a good idea. :D

On a side note Pat, I have always wanted to have a huge tank, but my goal was always to have a rather long tank, as oppsed to a tall one, say, 18". Does acrylic hold up as well as glass in larger footprints? I'm talking 12'-16'. You may not know, and I'm sure something like that may have to be custom, but you know more about acrylic than most so I thought I'd take a shot, lol. Good luck with your search. I have been looking for you too, but many specialize in glass, and those that have acrylic are not cheap.

On a side, side note, I recently got a 40g breeder acrylic tank and man oh man is that thing light! When I bought it off a guy and went to go pick it up, I was bracing myself to pick it up and it was so light! Dude looked at me like I was nuts, lmao.

Ricardo, whether the tank is glass or acrylic it seems to be the height which drive the thickness of the material used. For a tank like you are talking I am thinking frag tank.

Hi Pat,
I never had an acrylic tank, but I did buy 4 tanks from Glasscages.com, all of them glass, 2-60gal, 1-120 gallon and 1-240 gallon. The 240 gallon is 8 feet long and 2ft high and 2ft front to back. I am very happy with their quality and they delivered nearby for free (they have routes.... they are listed on their site). I see their acrylic is expensive, you would have to check the thickness.....

anyway that is my 2 cents, that is my experience with them, very happy.....
can't wait to see your new tank.... will you have new fish for it too?:D I bet it will be sweet!

Ardan

Thanks Ardan, the glass cages acrylic basic 180 is about $1800 and I would want to all one or two overflows at an additional cost plus shipping. I am not crossing them off the list but ATM they seem to be the most pricey option out there.

musicmarn1
10-03-2014, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Second Hand Pat;1116943]Thanks Ralph, contacting Joey is a good idea. :D

Pat i want videos if you build a 180g yourself that would be UBER woman power fish keeper video :p

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Pat i want videos if you build a 180g yourself that would be UBER woman power fish keeper video :p

That would be awesome Marnie but I have no intentions on working with acrylic. Buying the tank I want works for me :D

On another note the 100 gallon tank went to its new home today so the 180 will go in it's place. First step is to bring the 180 stand and canopy down from the loft in the barn and restrain/refinish as needed. The stand and canopy was built for me in 1986 of solid oak.

spiffyfish
10-03-2014, 10:26 PM
You should take before and after pictures of it Pat.

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
You should take before and after pictures of it Pat.

I may Chris. I did that with the 240.

uarujoey
10-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Need recommendations for a acrylic 180 with overflows. I already have the stand and canopy from my old 180. Dimensions are 6x2x2 feet. I am sort of leaning towards http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/ located here in Florida.

A good tank builder I like though is Titan aquatics and Reef savvy. Seen both of their work in person and it is impressive.

Titan does good quality work. Very good track record.

Reef savvy is run by a gentleman OBSESSED with the details of absolutely every tank they make. Which is exactly what i would want if i had someone build a tank for me. A true craftsman that either builds it himself or oversees every project. PLUS their ghost overflow is insane.

Second Hand Pat
10-12-2014, 01:44 PM
A good tank builder I like though is Titan aquatics and Reef savvy. Seen both of their work in person and it is impressive.

Titan does good quality work. Very good track record.

Reef savvy is run by a gentleman OBSESSED with the details of absolutely every tank they make. Which is exactly what i would want if i had someone build a tank for me. A true craftsman that either builds it himself or oversees every project. PLUS their ghost overflow is insane.

Thanks Joey, appreciate the leads.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
10-12-2014, 01:49 PM
So it is time to get busy. My kind hubby brought the stand and canopy down from the barn loft for my birthday and it is in excellent condition for being 28 years old. It needs a good wipedown and a few tweets to the canopy but otherwise it is good to go. I will take some pics later.

Rudustin
10-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Happy belated birthday Pat. Rufus

musicmarn1
10-12-2014, 02:04 PM
wow checked out Reef Savvy, those are impressive ! Titan too, Happy Birthday Pat :) hope you get some real progress on your new scape today!

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Happy belated birthday Pat. Rufus

wow checked out Reef Savvy, those are impressive ! Titan too, Happy Birthday Pat :) hope you get some real progress on your new scape today!

Thanks guys :D

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2014, 11:33 PM
So it starts...1/2 acrylic bottom and top, 2/3 on the sides, corner overflows with 64 gallon sump 48x18x18.

Second Hand Pat
10-22-2014, 05:41 PM
The tank is ordered.

rickztahone
10-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Who'd you end up going with Pat?

Second Hand Pat
10-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Acrylic Creations Ricardo, http://www.acryliccreationspa.com/

Tankster
10-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickztahone
10-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Acrylic Creations Ricardo, http://www.acryliccreationspa.com/

I checked out their website and it is very limiting and not much info there. I see that they have an ebay page but they do not include a link to go to their sales. They are losing out on very basic marketing.

I'm sure you have heard of them before and that is why you chose to go with them. Good luck with your new tank.

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I checked out their website and it is very limiting and not much info there. I see that they have an ebay page but they do not include a link to go to their sales. They are losing out on very basic marketing.

I'm sure you have heard of them before and that is why you chose to go with them. Good luck with your new tank.

Ricardo, if you click on the Shop link under the Store tab it will list all the ebay items listed. Give it a couple of seconds to show up. Also checkout the ebay reviews.

rickztahone
10-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Ricardo, if you click on the Shop link under the Store tab it will list all the ebay items listed. Give it a couple of seconds to show up. Also checkout the ebay reviews.

Will do. At work, I get a lot of blocked content from ebay and Amazon. That may be why I thought the site was so lacking. Thanks. I'm thinking my large tank will be an acrylic one because they are so much lighter.

Tankster
10-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I also want to mention, this guy is a sole proprietor and personally builds every single tank. He had a pretty big backlog when I talked to him over the phone about a year ago. Things might have changed and he might have hired help since then. I don't think he is hurting for business and probably intentionally keeps his marketing low key. I think most of his business comes by word of mouth.

Pat, how long did he estimate for delivery 6-8 weeks?

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2014, 09:40 PM
I have not ask Greg but I will. At this point I am on the list lol.

aalbina
10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Congrats on the new tank Pat! I still have convinced my wife to let me setup the 75 I bought years ago!

Adam

Second Hand Pat
10-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks Adam, you try the dinner, flowers route?

Second Hand Pat
10-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I also want to mention, this guy is a sole proprietor and personally builds every single tank. He had a pretty big backlog when I talked to him over the phone about a year ago. Things might have changed and he might have hired help since then. I don't think he is hurting for business and probably intentionally keeps his marketing low key. I think most of his business comes by word of mouth.

Pat, how long did he estimate for delivery 6-8 weeks?

Greg, it will be 4 to 5 weeks so time to order a background etc

aalbina
10-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks Adam, you try the dinner, flowers route?

Several times - but she's on to me...

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Sounds like it is time for different tactics

musicmarn1
10-26-2014, 06:01 PM

rofl!!!! Adam, too funny got to be a trade you can make for something she really wants?!, only you dont *say* it, you get it for her. :grin: got to be something you know she really wanted for a while....then you say well its not all altruistic darling, the 75 ive waited for is just burning a hole in my thoughts and i really want to finally set it up ! if you say no ill sell it right away and thats the end of that

just a thought, from a sneaky wife who often gets her way with her husband hehe :o

aalbina
10-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Hmm - I'll think on that - thanks for the tip!!

Adam