PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer mercury leaking out?!?!?!

jds1990
09-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Guys I've noticed my thermometer for my tank appears to be losing mercury? Not sure if it is or not because I've had it for so long and don't see why it would. It's never bumped or moved during cleaning. Please let me know what you think. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/1da430ee7edeba667d82bb274d832cf7.jpg

kris2341
09-28-2014, 01:14 AM
well, most thermometers we actually use nowadays actually contain alcohol now, not mercury.

while i broke a few in my tanks before they suffered no ill effects. usually the stuff would evaporate out with the usual heat and aeration of a tank.

If you are talking about the little round balls where the bottom is supposed to be, those are steel bearings and cause no trouble. neither does the wax that holds the stem.

kris2341
09-28-2014, 01:55 AM
well, most thermometers we actually use nowadays actually contain alcohol now, not mercury.

while i broke a few in my tanks before they suffered no ill effects. usually the stuff would evaporate out with the usual heat and aeration of a tank.

If you are talking about the little round balls where the bottom is supposed to be, those are steel bearings and cause no trouble. neither does the wax that holds the stem.

nc0gnet0
09-28-2014, 03:55 AM

this is true.

jds1990
09-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Oh wow I had no idea they switched over but then again I remember as a kid never being allowed to hold one so it makes sense for safety especially in a fish tank. I'm talking about the reddish color near the bottom it used to be clear now it's kind of reddish looking. Thanks again! Learn something here all the time.