PDA

View Full Version : Could I have a possible matched pair?

windalyn
09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
About 4 days ago I bought a large male red turq from a breeder. The first few days he just hung around not doing much. I did notice him clearing some long leaf plants today. Then tonight, his attitude changed completely.
He is now chasing all my other discus all over the tank save for one, which happens to be the blue turq that I got from the same breeder probably 6 months ago. I have know idea if the blue turq is a female but I always suspected so due to her very calm behavior. The two are also doing a strange swimming behavior. The get next to each other and start shimmering their whole bodies. Is this mating behavior? Did the two pair likely pair up?

-Amy

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Amy, it sounds to me like you have a pair forming. :D

musicmarn1
09-29-2014, 11:13 PM
time to get a 40g breeder or a divider so they dont hurt your other fish !! ;) exciting

windalyn
09-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Oh wow you two were right! I set up a breeding tank and tonight I have eggs!. My question now is this: There is another smaller pigeon blood that is laying eggs as well in my main tank, despite there being no male following up. Should I move her in with the main pair?

I'm so excited that my discus are finally breeding!!! :D

thank you,
Amy

Second Hand Pat
09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
I would leave the pair and try to confirm them.

windalyn
09-30-2014, 09:50 PM
thank you for the help. I will leave them be then and see how it goes. In the mean time, here is a pic of the pair

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/windalyn/turqpair_zps6fd24ec1.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/windalyn/media/turqpair_zps6fd24ec1.jpg.html)

musicmarn1
10-01-2014, 01:52 AM
how awesome! the pigeon blood would not go so well with either of these two anyway, so i think you got the right two....now to see what they do, ie how many tries it takes. if they do anything there are some really super amazing people who know their stuff in the breeding section, too.