PDA

View Full Version : two questions

pitdogg2
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
I've been in the AQ hobby for 35 yrs. One of the things that I keep seeing(even on this site) and have yet to understand. Why can't you use carbon with Discus? It is simply stated " Don't use carbon in the filter (this can lead to disease in discus). I have not found that to be true in my case I have used it many times with no problems.
Second question I have kept Discus many times over the years and have noticed lately that they seem to be more aggressive than in years past. For the past few month's I have been keeping Discus again. Something most be going right as the first 3 I bought paired off and have been laying eggs after every large water change in my 75gal. Once a week I make a 50-60% change with a daily 20% change and yes they lay and gone in 3 days. Eaten most of the time and most turn white. they are only 3" at this point from my LFS several months back. My last purchase was 6 small 2" fish all in the same tank in the LFS (20gal.) promptly put into another 75 of mine. Problem is that they just tear each other apart once I put them in. I have let them go to see if they would settle down but one was the most aggresive so I put him in with the one fish from My first buy that was the cast out from the trio. This small guy thinks he is Chuck Norris as he tries to take on the MUCH larger Discus who promptly stomps him down.

Tank parameters are as follows
pH 7.3 to 7.6 city water ran though a 45 tall tank with a lifeguard fluidized bed filter with 1 liter of purigen also have XP3 with foam, seachem phosphate remover, 16 oz. of magnum carbon, pura nitrate lock and last but not least a 6"x6" poly filter pad cut from the 12" x 12" big pad.

that is where my water changes come from.

discus tanks are 7.0- 7.4 depending on the water from city lakes it does fluctuate a little but tanks stay pretty much the same. Both tanks have 1 magnum350 with matrix in the carbon container going to bio-wheels, XP3 with seachem phosphate remover and some pura nitrate lock. bare bottom on both with 4 plants in each all in clay pots with flourite and a small amount of dirt in a nylon sock for the plant between flourite on top and bottom.
Plants do good with no algae.

they are fed live black worms, earthworm flake food, Hikari Discus food, Brine shrimp and small chopped red worms sometimes I will feed some beef heart and I always siphon out all uneaten food daily with the 20% WC

I use Carbon and have never had any ill effects or diseases sometimes I use it months on end then I may go for awhile for the wood to tannin the water. no rhyme or reason just lazy on my mostly unless the wife complains about the smell from the food I use then I will run some carbon to clean up a bit.

Ivan

pitdogg2
10-01-2014, 09:11 AM
crickets ? you guys sure make a new member feel welcome.....

nc0gnet0
10-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Urban Myth-Many people thought that carbon stripped trace elements from the water- to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't.

Fact-when doing daily large water changes of 50% or greater, carbon is pretty much a waste.

-Rick

brewmaster15
10-01-2014, 09:23 AM
The basic reason is as Rick implied...
Fact-when doing daily large water changes of 50% or greater, carbon is pretty much a waste. large water changes do a better job.

The other reason is when people use carbon, its a safety cushion that makes them complacent. When you believe that your filter is removing toxins, you are less apt to change your water. This is often a mistake..

see this...
I use Carbon and have never had any ill effects or diseases sometimes I use it months on end then I may go for awhile for the wood to tannin the water. no rhyme or reason just lazy on my mostly unless the wife complains about the smell from the food I use then I will run some carbon to clean up a bit.

in most tanks Carbon adsorption sites are usually blocked up in a few weeks....it then stops removing toxins, and it has become just part of your biological filtration media...which by the way, you remove when you change the carbon.

hth,
al

Ryan
10-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I've only used carbon in my cichlid tanks for temporary things like removing medications. Otherwise I find that it's mostly a waste of money.

pitdogg2
10-01-2014, 11:26 AM
The basic reason is as Rick implied... large water changes do a better job.

The other reason is when people use carbon, its a safety cushion that makes them complacent. When you believe that your filter is removing toxins, you are less apt to change your water. This is often a mistake..

yes i do agree water changes are a must regardless whether carbon is used or not this we agree on.

see this...

in most tanks Carbon adsorption sites are usually blocked up in a few weeks....it then stops removing toxins, and it has become just part of your biological filtration media...which by the way, you remove when you change the carbon.

hth,
al

uuum no i did not I have one whole XP3 basket filled with seachem matrix and also have magnum 350 also filled with matrix with bio-wheels that are also just bio filters on each 75gl tank

brewmaster15
10-01-2014, 11:42 AM
yes i do agree water changes are a must regardless whether carbon is used or not this we agree on.

uuum no i did not I have one whole XP3 basket filled with seachem matrix and also have magnum 350 also filled with matrix with bio-wheels that are also just bio filters on each 75gl tank

Sorry for the confusion, my point was in general...
1)Carbon gets spent(adsorption sites filled up) in weeks
2)Carbon in a tank for months become nothing more than part of your biological filter.
hth,
al

discuspaul
10-03-2014, 11:29 PM
And BTW, Ivan, a belated welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you on board and extend our apology for not getting back to your initial thread a little more promptly.