PDA

View Full Version : What red strain is this?

Argentum
10-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone.

I bought new discus :)

3 of them are a red strain I don't know. I have tried to upload a picture to photo bucket but it refuses to work.

Until it works for me see if you can identify it based on my description.

Its red including all over with 9 black stress bars, so not a pigeon blood. what is it then?

rdiscus
10-01-2014, 04:11 PM
That call 9 stress bars red ;)

Argentum
10-01-2014, 05:35 PM
That call 9 stress bars red ;)
yea lol ... I can call it anything.

But what are the red strains that aren't PB?

Ryan
10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Virgin Red/San Merah/Red Cover, most likely. There was a time when San Merah didn't have bars but suddenly I see a lot of fish being sold under that name with bars, so take that for what it's worth.

nc0gnet0
10-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Virgin Red/San Merah/Red Cover, most likely. There was a time when San Merah didn't have bars but suddenly I see a lot of fish being sold under that name with bars, so take that for what it's worth.

I take it as mis-labeled or poor quality fish :)

Ryan
10-01-2014, 06:38 PM

I think they are often mislabeled because people don't understand that San Merah are barless fish. They were originally created using ghost discus genetics to remove the bars, right?

I haven't seen true, good San Merah in so long. I remember 10 or so years ago when they first became available. What a striking fish.

Argentum
10-02-2014, 06:49 AM

Why is a red discus with bars considered poor quality fish? they look round and healthy and the red color is amazing.

Are they decedents of Nahamandu red?

pcsb23
10-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Why is a red discus with bars considered poor quality fish? they look round and healthy and the red color is amazing.

Are they decedents of Nahamandu red?They aren't necessarily. I'm thinking Rick was referring to the previous comment about mis-sold/mislabelled fish. If it was meant to be a San Merah and had bars then it is a poor quality San Merah as they should imho have no bars ... however if it was meant to be a red fish with bars then that is an entirely different argument and would depend on it's conformation.

I've seen some lovely red based discus with bars, Steve Punchard breeds some that are stunning. I believe these have wild stock in their heritage though I don't know for sure what locale.

Argentum
10-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Here's a mobile pic its approx 2 1/2" - 3"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3a1oewqy9wyqzt/20141001_220041.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3a1oewqy9wyqzt/20141001_220041.jpg?dl=0

Argentum
10-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Can anyone recognize it?

nc0gnet0
10-05-2014, 09:08 AM
They aren't necessarily. I'm thinking Rick was referring to the previous comment about mis-sold/mislabelled fish. If it was meant to be a San Merah and had bars then it is a poor quality San Merah as they should imho have no bars ... however if it was meant to be a red fish with bars then that is an entirely different argument and would depend on it's conformation.

I've seen some lovely red based discus with bars, Steve Punchard breeds some that are stunning. I believe these have wild stock in their heritage though I don't know for sure what locale.

This is exactly what I meant, The fact they have bars does not make them low quality, it makes them Red covers etc. If they were meant to be San Marahs however, then they are indeed low quality. Just like if you were to market a BD with bars.......