PDA

View Full Version : Grow out stocking numbers

adshark
10-09-2014, 08:05 AM
When and how often do you split the spawn up to get maximum growth rates? I can do daily 100% WC no problems. What is the stocking rate to avoid overcrowding. Thanks TS

nabilbb
10-09-2014, 01:31 PM
1 discus per 10 Gallon

John_Nicholson
10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
1 discus per 10 Gallon

LOL...nope....not for growing out spawns. I use 75 gallon tanks. When they are small ( dime sized ) I often have 300 or so in the tank. At 1 inch or so I probably cut it down to 100 or so. Probably 50 at 2 inches. After that it depends. If i am growing out for me I will cut to about 15. At 4 inches I will cu t to 10 or 12. I have grown out 10-12 to 6 inches+ in a 75 gallon many times.

-john

discuspaul
10-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Great info, John. I especially like your last sentence, which I have always thought to be a-ok, but you have proven it's very doable too. I'll bet some other people wouldn't have agreed with those numbers & size if you hadn't said you'd done it many times.

Larry Bugg
10-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Lol. I guess I need to buy about 100 more grow out tanks.

I stock mine about the same as John but I do two 100% water changes a day.

nabilbb
10-09-2014, 03:33 PM
LOL...nope....not for growing out spawns. I use 75 gallon tanks. When they are small ( dime sized ) I often have 300 or so in the tank. At 1 inch or so I probably cut it down to 100 or so. Probably 50 at 2 inches. After that it depends. If i am growing out for me I will cut to about 15. At 4 inches I will cu t to 10 or 12. I have grown out 10-12 to 6 inches+ in a 75 gallon many times.

-john

LOL, Yes I know that, but when the OP said "What is the stocking rate to avoid overcrowding" I thought that was a separate question that has nothing to do with the first part..... my mistake and thanks for clarifying that and lolling at me

adshark
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
John, what kind of maintnance schedule and feeding schedule do you adhere to? Thanks

John_Nicholson
10-10-2014, 10:29 AM
I feed twice a day and change at least 50% of the water once a day.

-john

adshark
10-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks John! Appreciate all your help and your quick responses.

musicmarn1
10-10-2014, 03:25 PM
very useful info ty also, got my two 75g grow out tanks, waterproofing my *fishroom* right now and got breeder tanks ready, just need RO set up again and hopefully ill be able to follow this advice very soon. Larry how long do you keep up 2 x 100% water changes a day? do you go down at some point or keep that up always on each fish? im hauling water right now so thats going to be too much for me, im just curious :)

rickztahone
10-10-2014, 09:53 PM
very useful info ty also, got my two 75g grow out tanks, waterproofing my *fishroom* right now and got breeder tanks ready, just need RO set up again and hopefully ill be able to follow this advice very soon. Larry how long do you keep up 2 x 100% water changes a day? do you go down at some point or keep that up always on each fish? im hauling water right now so thats going to be too much for me, im just curious :)

I'm sure John has been doing one a days for over 20 years :p;)

Larry Bugg
10-11-2014, 01:01 PM

My point was that I do large daily water changes like John but I guess some clarification would definitely be helpful here. There is a huge difference between John's water and mine!! He has very hard water and I have very soft water. I"m guessing his KH is high enough to keep his PH very stable. My KH is very low. Basically this means that my water can go bad much quicker than John's. For me changing water is very quick and easy so I do the two changes a day taking no chances that the water deteriorates with such a high bio load. My PH out of the tap is around 6.6 and my KH is around 2 or less. In my tanks that don't get daily water changes the PH will drop over several days down into the 4.5 to 5.5 range.

Forgot you also asked how long I do the two a day. I usually sell all my grow outs by the time they reach 2" or so. When I do grow out larger juvies they are in much fewer numbers so the bio load isn't as severe. Then I do only one 100% change a day.