PDA

View Full Version : WTH... I've got a ton of fry... with flukes...

ptactics922
10-10-2014, 05:07 PM
So first off I should have known better from reading to treat the snot out of the parents before I tossed in the cone, but I was super curious/excited about what the fry would look like with this cross and it would be my first time letting a pair go for fry. Anyways ~22 days in it seemed like the parents were getting a little upset with the fry and moving away from them etc. so I pulled the parents, and a few days later this started...fry are ~ 4 weeks now and I'm losing fry 1-3 everyday. I wake up and 1 will be toast, I come home and 1 will be toast. They love BBS, pick their way through dry flake and tetra bits and absolutely decimate blackworms like a pack of angry little piranhas so when the first couple went I figured they either over ate or genetics or something caught up. When I lost some more the next day I tested water, checked the bodies for any signs and out of the corner of my eye i saw one flash on the heater cord. After watching for a few minutes i saw some more flash every now and then so I immediately ran back over to the display tank to give the parents a once over and sure as thing mom has a clamped gill... I've had this group of discus for a little over a year from 2.5" and now they are (measured the biggest when i moved her back out of the breeder) 6.5" - 7" and haven't seen them flash on anything. so now I have a good 90 or so fry with flukes and my display tank has flukes :(

I broke out the Formalin on fry and treated 1 drop a gal (half dose) after their water change (95%-100% daily) because I wasn't sure if they could handle the full dose. This morning I just had one goner so I dosed the other half after seeing a few more flashing. Just got home and had 2 more bite the dust, but haven't seen anyone else flashing yet.

So i guess my question is to anyone who has had to deal with flukes and fry... what did you use to try and save some? And since i already ran to the Formalin what treatment regimen do you recommend? I'm a little scared to follow the treatment on the box or to do a dip because the only other tanks i have setup for them is a 50 and a 55 for growing out and they are just a bit bigger than a dime and i was planning on keeping them in the 20H for 1 more week so they don't have trouble finding food (and I haven't had a water quality issue yet).

Skip
10-10-2014, 05:15 PM
WT? is probably a little inappropriate..

ptactics922
10-10-2014, 05:19 PM
edited, sorry about that. ah I cant change the thread name... my apologies.

Skip
10-10-2014, 05:22 PM
you need to get help from..

John Nicholson
Yim11
Nc0gneto

i am sure they will chime in.. they some of best best here for breeding.. alot of years between them

Kal-El
10-10-2014, 05:22 PM
You might want to get a scope to confirm if they have Fluke from the dead fry. There are other things that can cause the same symptom as fluke.

John_Nicholson
10-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I am old school. If I was in your situation I would dump the fry, clean up the pair, and start over.

I hate treating fry. I just think they can never completely reach their potential if you do.

-john

nc0gnet0
10-10-2014, 05:36 PM
It's not flukes...........

nc0gnet0
10-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I am old school. If I was in your situation I would dump the fry, clean up the pair, and start over.

I hate treating fry. I just think they can never completely reach their potential if you do.

-john

As good as advice as that is, do you honestly think it will be followed? lol

nc0gnet0
10-10-2014, 05:53 PM
This is almost always indicative of water quality issues, the causes can be many, but quite often is brought on by a protozoan infection IMO. John's advice to cull the fry is your best option, clean the parents and start over. If you insist on treating, you have two options (although I agree with John, not really worth it in my book either), copper or formalin, with my preference being copper.

-Rick

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2014, 06:21 PM
The problem with treating fry is it sets them back. Sometimes for weeks and this is time and perhaps growth they will never recover. It is way better to cull the fry, clean the parents and try again. It is a pleasure to work with healthy, growing, hungry fry. Not so much if the fry are having problems, using meds etc. Been there, done that.

ptactics922
10-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I am just going to pull the rest of them this morning. Damage was done. More than half are struggling at the top of the tank and the others are at the bottom with flared gills, breathing hard and flashing.

I'm going to tear down the 20 and both 55's and bleach them along with the heaters etc. As far as airstones and spongefilters, will a good hyde soak for a week or two kill off what might be left or is it easier just to pitch them and get new ones? Just want to make sure everything gets wiped out.

musicmarn1
10-12-2014, 02:21 PM
good for you, sorry that happend but really the best, ive done it too, sucks when your excited about raising a batch , better luck next time!