PDA

View Full Version : Dual Peppy

TNT77
10-10-2014, 09:09 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Dual-Peppy/961846387164549
http://kdvr.com/2014/09/22/renowned-stallion-among-dozens-of-malnourished-dead-horses-in-black-forest-barn/
On today's hearing-The hearing was to question the validity of the seizure and the bond amount. Randy Parker DVM gave testimony. He stated that femur bones of the 14 deceased were tested. The average age of the dead horses was 5-10 years old. The youngest was 3. Only 3 horses were 15 or older. No firm cause of death yet to our knowledge. The judge agreed there was probable cause and the seizure stood. The bond deposit had been paid, and other vet costs were ordered to be paid. Judge Sletta ordered she may pay $5,205. for vet care; float, vaccination, farrier, worming. $12.00 per horse per day or $3600 per month. The Llamas $600 for vet care, and $15 per llama per day or $1800 per month till advisement in December. Next payment due 10/23. The horses and llamas remain incare of the humane organizatin., and get important care. This is all a huge victory. Thank you for sticking with this case. We will see it through!

sdrexler078
10-10-2014, 09:58 PM
It may be mean but sometimes I believe in a eye for an eye and people who do this should be treated in the same manor as punishment.

Scribbles
10-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Those poor animals. There will be no justice for them. Mere money isn't enough of a punishment. With the exception of my fish I only take in rescues. Some of their stories are heartbreaking. My first horse was a rescue who was nearly starved to death. It was touch and go for awhile but she made it. Because there was food on the property her owners could not be prosecuted. The laws in WA state have changed and nowadays they would be charged.

Chris

musicmarn1
10-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Oh my gosh, my blood boils....Thank goodness they have care now. I am a rescue person too, see far too much cruelty but mostly neglect through ignorance.

I love that quote Chris, one of my all time favorites! !

John_Nicholson
10-11-2014, 09:43 AM
I hear ya but the trouble is people who do not really know/understand animals are the ones making the laws. One of the biggest failures ever was when they stopped the slaughter of horses in this country. I know that their heart was in the right place but the fallout has been massive. I was raised by a horse trader. I have spent my entire life invovlved with horses.......but not all horses are good horses. Some because of age, injury, or disposition just don't have a job to do. In the past these horses would go to a sale and then were humainly slaughtered. They were not staved, they were not mistreated. They ended up in dog food or french tables. This did not bother me. Being raised in the industry I have seen horses that simlpy had no useful purpose. Once slaughter was outlawed the animal rights nuts were thrilled but when all of the rescue places were swamped by these horses the burdun was more than they could bare. Once there was not a outlet for these horses what happened to them? They were abused, they were starved, they were abandoned. A well meaning law pushed by misguided people has lead to the abuse of thousands and thousands of horses. While the industry has recovered some this problem will continue until we start horse slaughter in this country again. Don't get my wrong. My horses are well cared for. They eat before I eat at night....but I also understand that a horse is a horse. They are not some mystical nobel creature. They are basically a smart, tall, good looking cow, but there are some that just do not make the cut.

Sorry about the case mentioned above. I hate to seen a horse abused.

-john

TNT77
10-11-2014, 12:01 PM
I hear ya but the trouble is people who do not really know/understand animals are the ones making the laws. One of the biggest failures ever was when they stopped the slaughter of horses in this country. I know that their heart was in the right place but the fallout has been massive. I was raised by a horse trader. I have spent my entire life invovlved with horses.......but not all horses are good horses. Some because of age, injury, or disposition just don't have a job to do. In the past these horses would go to a sale and then were humainly slaughtered. They were not staved, they were not mistreated. They ended up in dog food or french tables. This did not bother me. Being raised in the industry I have seen horses that simlpy had no useful purpose. Once slaughter was outlawed the animal rights nuts were thrilled but when all of the rescue places were swamped by these horses the burdun was more than they could bare. Once there was not a outlet for these horses what happened to them? They were abused, they were starved, they were abandoned. A well meaning law pushed by misguided people has lead to the abuse of thousands and thousands of horses. While the industry has recovered some this problem will continue until we start horse slaughter in this country again. Don't get my wrong. My horses are well cared for. They eat before I eat at night....but I also understand that a horse is a horse. They are not some mystical nobel creature. They are basically a smart, tall, good looking cow, but there are some that just do not make the cut.

-john
I do agree with you that stopping the slaughter was bad for this country. But I have always had mixed feelings about it. I have seen good horses go to slaughter. So not all horses that went were ill-mannered, injured, old or had no use. Some were perfectly good horses whos owners fell on bad times. But is it better for that horse to starve to death because the owner cannot feed it; no. People say take them to a rescue but they don't understand that most rescues require a donation now to take your horse. If you cannot afford feed your horse most people cannot afford the $300-500 dollar donation.
I do have to disagree about the horse being on the level of cattle. They are not a food stock animal. That has rarely been their purpose otherwise they would be bred like cattle or chickens to try and produce the best palatable meat as possible. They have more of a use than just to fill a belly. Most people who have them see them in the standards of a companion because they full-fill more than just one role in life that food stock animals do not.
But these people had no excuse. Most of their horses could have found homes in this industry easily had they tried. Wether they were too proud to admit what was happening or just that stupid who knows.

musicmarn1
10-11-2014, 12:34 PM
i also agree that horse slaughter has it place, i detest horse neglect and that happens because there is no way for some people to move old or unwanted horses, not all shelters and rescues will take them. however i do strongly want to have the right to know precisely what meat im eating lol

its like no kill for me with dogs, i move a lot of the shelters i work with, toward no kill but i DO put down dogs who i cannot bring to a safe level to re-home, and that has happened a few times. it would be awful if that ability was taken away,however i think its used willy nilly as a first and not last course of action so many people dispose of dogs precisely because they CAN, shelters to my mind and im a shelter worker and have my own rescue, become a revolving door, yet the owners never learn to train the dog into something they can live with, OR put the dog down themselves if all other courses of action are exhausted. i think this ease of disposal breeds complacency and an attitude of we will just get another one. Its proven over and over again, i see it countles times where they dump one dog and go out and get another young dog...the cycle continues because they have not changed or learned anything differently.

i WISH i knew the answer to this problem

klannin
10-11-2014, 04:44 PM
I hope the animals are being well cared for. You hear horror stories about animals being seized, either justly or unjustly, by a local government that hasn't the means to care for them. Then the owner is stuck with a massive bill after their case is dropped or excused, only to get them back in worse condition--or not at all.

As far as horses go, they have historically been a stock AND draught animal, in much the same way cattle are--cattle pull wagons and be ridden. Horses are just more in fashion as draught than dinner these days and in this culture. I can gurantee if you put as much time into bonding with and training a young calf as your horse, he'd be just as good a buddy. Don't even get me started with pigs. They are extremely trainable, if you put in the time.

Scribbles
10-11-2014, 05:42 PM

-john

While I am an animal lover I wholeheartedly agree that when animals are bad tempered, ill, or damaged beyond repair they should be put down or slaughtered (depending upon the type of animal).The horse slaughter trade in my area was not a humane one. The bulk of the horses were bought at auction where whip happy wanna be cowboys got their jollies flogging lame, blind, and just plain terrified horses. Mares, stallions, and foals would be put into pens together and fights would break out.

I think that the answer lies in education. People need to do a little research before buying pets or livestock instead of buying them on a whim. People read the Black Stallion and expect to buy a young horse and it will become the perfect riding horse simply because it loves them. People need to stop breeding mediocre or poor quality animals just to make a quick buck. If people didn't buy dogs from breeding stock that was not health tested or untitled (conformation or performance) people wouldn't breed them. The same goes for horses and other livestock.

Chris

Miss_Fish
10-19-2014, 01:23 PM

-john
I think this is what is happening currently with the influx of mixed dog breeds. I am from the country, and mixed dogs were never allowed to be born, or if they were they were born they were put down at an early age. We didn't have a stray dog problem, or a shelter crisis either.

Not to mention that when you did buy a dog you usually knew the parents of the dogs so you knew the temperament.

John_Nicholson
10-20-2014, 08:22 AM
I think this is what is happening currently with the influx of mixed dog breeds. I am from the country, and mixed dogs were never allowed to be born, or if they were they were born they were put down at an early age. We didn't have a stray dog problem, or a shelter crisis either.

Not to mention that when you did buy a dog you usually knew the parents of the dogs so you knew the temperament.

Yep back in the day when people were still attached to the rural lifestyle and understood how this whole cycle of life thing works. Back before people started thinking that meat came from store instead of cows....LOL.

-john

klannin
10-20-2014, 08:31 AM
My sister is in the country, and kept taking in these mutts that would be difficult and cause problems. I went and gave her a nice Cane Corso Mastiff, the ultimate farm dog. She barely had to train him. He is sweet with the kids and animals, good in the house. Will open up whoop *** on strangers unless she's there, heards the goats a little. People just don't understand what a good functional dog is until they've had one. The other end of it is knowing where to get one. 99% of dog breeders are ignorant of functionality too.