PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeding in a community tank - success story

Argentum
10-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Hello everyone,

Hartmut Kreckel on facebook shared pictures for his discus with 3 months old fry that breed and were raised in a community tank. I encouraged him to post his experience here. So we can all learn from him, on how he succeeded, the growth rate, survival rate and so on.

So he will use this thread to post his first 10 post so he can use full features.

I know some of you here have their points against breeding in community tank, and think this is not the best way, and maybe its not. However, some people are not looking for the best way they just want to try thinks even if they are going to end with sub sized discus.

Here is a picture of his tank.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p634/argentumblade/combreeding_zpsec9c752d.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/argentumblade/media/combreeding_zpsec9c752d.jpg.html)

Rudustin
10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow that is so cool. Not for many to try but certainly wonderful to see! Rufus

Larry Bugg
10-13-2014, 10:57 PM
No other fish in the picture. What other fish does he have in the tank with the pair and the juvies?

pastry
10-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Argentum, wonderful looking pair to me! Yep, I've had two pairs in communities raise fry (not the best fry in the world) and it was cool to see. I didn't really care too much about trying to raise fry but enjoyed seeing it.

Yep, it's frowned upon here but I still love hearing about it so if you can ignore some of it then please let us know more details. Like Larry asked, what other fish are in that tank? More discus?

rickztahone
10-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Argentum, wonderful looking pair to me! Yep, I've had two pairs in communities raise fry (not the best fry in the world) and it was cool to see. I didn't really care too much about trying to raise fry but enjoyed seeing it.

Yep, it's frowned upon here but I still love hearing about it so if you can ignore some of it then please let us know more details. Like Larry asked, what other fish are in that tank? More discus?

I do not think it is frowned upon, but I think it isn't encouraged if what you want is to raise fry successfully.

pastry
10-18-2014, 08:08 PM
agree
I do not think it is frowned upon, but I think it isn't encouraged if what you want is to raise fry successfully.

ButterflyDiscus
12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Thank you for your comments! There are Corydoras, Brochis, L191 in the tank, the other 5 adult discus were removed, when the fry began to swim freely. The father is a cross between Oriental Snakeskin and a Blue Snakeskin and was also born in this community tank in Nov. 2008, so things have become full circle for him :) Regards Hartmut

rdiscus
12-06-2014, 11:51 PM
That's not community tank, it's just plant tank

pastry
12-07-2014, 06:59 AM
still cool none the less. look pretty good for fry being raised in a planted tank. had some luck as well but my fry always ended up far behind where they should've been. of course, I didn't really try to do anything for them... it's just a show tank for me. thanks for sharing!

Argentum
12-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Thank you for your comments! There are Corydoras, Brochis, L191 in the tank, the other 5 adult discus were removed, when the fry began to swim freely. The father is a cross between Oriental Snakeskin and a Blue Snakeskin and was also born in this community tank in Nov. 2008, so things have become full circle for him :) Regards Hartmut

Hartmut is the owner of the tank and discus, so now we know what was with the discus