PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on adding more discus?? What do you think?

barkmanusd
10-14-2014, 01:22 AM
My prize discus a super penang eruption from Kenny (all my discus are from Kenny!) was involved in a brawl! He is swimming on his side and probably wont make it much longer.

Background: i have 2 tanks. One 75 gallon and a second around 80. Both have been extremely stable for over a year or two. They are both bare bottom with a potted plant and 1 other decorative pottery item to provide them some privacy. The Tank with the penang had a large vase in it. The fish like to go in and out and have never had a problem with it for over a year. 2 nights ago (tank lights were off) I hear a huge clunk thud kinda noise. i ran over, turned on the light and saw several fish struggling to swim out at the same time. The Penang was already out but then slammed into an aquarium wall. Freak accident. I will be taking the vase out.

The tank in question has 4 other discus, all about 5" - 6", healthy, and doing fine. My second tank has 4 discus about the same size. I realize I dont have to replace the penang but feel obliged (dont know why) but I'm thinking about combining all my current discus to #1 tank and buying 4 or 5 smaller guys from Ken to go in the 2nd tank. I realize this is mostly personal preference but wondering what you guys thought?

OC Discus
10-14-2014, 09:40 AM
1) Remember to research and follow quarantine procedures before adding new fish- even combining the existing fish.
2) Maybe the Penang will recover
3) The second option sounds good. The 75 could house 7-8. Starting a new group together is a good idea.
Good luck.

barkmanusd
10-15-2014, 02:57 AM
1) Remember to research and follow quarantine procedures before adding new fish- even combining the existing fish.
2) Maybe the Penang will recover
3) The second option sounds good. The 75 could house 7-8. Starting a new group together is a good idea.
Good luck.

THanks! not really much to quarantine. 2 tanks share everything from water to nets etc. Both tanks have been established for years and other than taking all substrate out a year or two ago water chemistry has been status quo!

Funny the penang is still hanging in there. He's swimming at a severe angle but not as bad as yesterday. Seems to have a 'bump' exactly mid body on the side that is floating upward... Talked to Kenny, may have to wait till Nov. shipment to get what I want in the smaller guys anyway. we'll see what happens! Thanks

navydiscus
10-15-2014, 09:08 AM
I believe oc discus was referring to quarantining procedures if you decided to get more fish. Not to put them directly into the established tank. Use a quarantine tank for your new fish to make sure they are in tip top shape and do not spread any diseases to your other fish. As far as your original post is concerned I wouldn't keep 8 5 to 6 inch discus in 75. Don't get me wrong they would probably survive with the correct cleaning regiment it's just too crowded for me. I have 10 about that size in a 240. Currently with a pair laying eggs that are a little territorial. If you had had some pair off in a 75 you could get into some trouble with space. Again just my opinion.