PDA

View Full Version : Algae issues

wild discus
10-14-2014, 06:11 PM
After doing some searches on the various algae scrubber set-ups available, I ran across "Healthy Ponds 10142 Fish Tank Treatment Dispenser" by Bioverse. Has anyone tried this product?? It almost sounds too good to be true - and we all know what that usually inducates! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rickztahone
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM
The main problem you have to tackle when you are having algae issues is the MAIN problem, and not the end result. Algae in itself is an end result problem. You need to get to the bottom of why you are getting algae in the first place.

Are you using fertz? What type of lights are you using? How long do you have them in during the day? Do you have black outs during the day?

wild discus
10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
I guess I really didn't think this through! Back to the source and figure out the issues. Thanks for getting me back on track!

mwood3
10-19-2014, 09:52 AM
I have my lights on a timer with a "light siesta" from noon to about 3 pm. Aquatic plants can handle to light loss during the day but the photosynthesis of algae can't handle the light variation and have trouble revving up photosynthesis again. Overfeeding can significantly raise phosphate levels in the tank and encourage algae growth. I also use duckweed to control algae, it grows like crazy and out competes the algae for nutrients.

Mike