PDA

View Full Version : Scared discus.. One died.. Help needed

Johnman
10-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks in advance. I have a 55 gal tank (main tank) with (2) 4" discus, (2) 3" discus, 8 Cardinal tetras and 3 cory cats. I use RO water, ph is 6.8, 86•, sand substrate, Malaysian driftwood. I do 30% water changes every 3 days. The tank is fully cycled and nitrates/nitrates/ammonia are all perfect. The fish are thriving. I also have a quarentine/medical tank with (3) 2.25" discus. It's 10gal, cycled, nitrates/nitrates/ammonia are all perfect. It has a bare bottom, 89•, and 4 little fake plants for them to hide. I do 50% daily water changes with RO and they eat frozen blood worms.
This tank started with (4) 1.5" discus. Ok here's the problem; after having these little guys for 3 weeks I added a led light. They hated it, hiding and darting around. So, knowing that they would eventually end up in a larger "lighted" tank I started to give them small doses of light. And after 2 days of this the fish became terrified as soon as they saw me or anyone else. I removed the light completely. Btw they still kept eating after Id walk away. They are still terrified. Yesterday I came home and approached the tank on my knees and noticed that there was a dead one. I did a water change fed them and left them in the dark. I now fear that the other 3 will soon follow the dead one. They look great and eat but are terrified. Any suggestions? I am considering 3 options...
#1 place them in the main tank; my thoughts being that the other discus will provide them comfort?...
#2 leave them in the 10gal tank in a dark room and see what happens
#3 put them in a 46gal tank that I have waiting for them that I was going to use when they got 3.5"

Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

nc0gnet0
10-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks in advance. I have a 55 gal tank (main tank) with (2) 4" discus, (2) 3" discus, 8 Cardinal tetras and 3 cory cats. I use RO water, ph is 6.8, 86•, sand substrate, Malaysian driftwood. I do 30% water changes every 3 days. The tank is fully cycled and nitrates/nitrates/ammonia are all perfect. The fish are thriving.

Your water change schedule for growing out discus in insufficient IMO. I would suggest, at a minimum to be doing 50-60% every second day, and daily would be even better if you follow my next advice.

It's 10gal, cycled, nitrates/nitrates/ammonia are all perfect. It has a bare bottom, 89•, and 4 little fake plants for them to hide. I do 50% daily water changes with RO and they eat frozen blood worms.
This tank started with (4) 1.5" discus. Ok here's the problem; after having these little guys for 3 weeks I added a led light. They hated it, hiding and darting around. So, knowing that they would eventually end up in a larger "lighted" tank I started to give them small doses of light. And after 2 days of this the fish became terrified as soon as they saw me or anyone else. I removed the light completely. Btw they still kept eating after Id walk away. They are still terrified. Yesterday I came home and approached the tank on my knees and noticed that there was a dead one. I did a water change fed them and left them in the dark. I now fear that the other 3 will soon follow the dead one. They look great and eat but are terrified. Any suggestions?

IMO, a discus keeper has no use for a ten gallon tank, unless they use it for salt dips or a brine shrimp hatchery. Also, why 89 degrees? You need to throttle the temp back to 82-83 on BOTH tanks. As for the light, I am not going to address that issue as the small tank is my main concern. With the number of discus you have I would probably go ahead and put them in the main display tank, as long as your sure the fish died of a stress related cause (panicked hit head etc). The 46 gallon tank is another option, but would prefer to see 6-10 in that tank, at that size.

-Rick

Johnman
10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Ya the 10 gal tank is just for quarantine and hospital only. I'm 99% sure that the one died from stress. They looked and acted perfect until the led came around.

Johnman
10-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Anyone else? I really want opinions.

nc0gnet0
10-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Anyone else? I really want opinions.

Why not just start a poll?

pcsb23
10-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Anyone else? I really want opinions.Opinions on what? that you aren't doing enough water changes or that a 10 gallon tank is too small for discus? the temp is too high? or which tank they should be in?

OK, lets see...
1) you need to do more water changes, both volume and frequency
2) a 10 gallon tank is too small for discus with the possible exception of fry (these are not fry - therefore it is too small)
3) the temperature is too high, 82f (28C) is fine
4) your call as to which bigger tank they go in, but note that three discus on their own won't do well.

John_Nicholson
10-16-2014, 08:44 AM
I have to agree with my colleague's above. Long story short your lack and care and knowledge killed your fish as surely as if you had cut his head off. They are your fish and you are free to continue down this path if you want but make no mistake about it. Your errors are obvious to anyone that knows discus. If you are keeping score it is now 3 very knowledgeable and long term discus breeders have told you the issue.

-john

brewmaster15
10-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Add a fourth here as well. Not to Pile on , Theres alot of husbandry mistakes going on here.:(

In addition to everything else mentioned...

I also have a quarentine/medical tank with (3) 2.25" discus. It's 10gal, cycled, nitrates/nitrates/ammonia are all perfect. It has a bare bottom, 89•, and 4 little fake plants for them to hide. I do 50% daily water changes with RO and they eat frozen blood worms.

You haven't mentioned anything about your water parameters, pH etc. But if you are doing 50% water changes on a 10 gal tank with 3 2.25" discus, Theres a good chance the pH will crash in that tank in time..possibly why the fish are skittish now. Why are you using RO water for these guys? Whats your tap water like?

-al

Larry Bugg
10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
I agree with all the above.

Ya the 10 gal tank is just for quarantine and hospital only.

10 gallons is not big enough for a discus quarantine tank or hospital tank.

Johnman
10-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the comments. I am here for help and this is how things are learned. It seems that my questions and lack of knowledge have caused me to be a target I guess. I'd suggest that you first understand that I am here asking for help not stating that I know everything or anything. I wanted opinions as if I were discussing how to perfect my aquariums. I read and read and continue to gain knowledge daily. Chopping my fishes heads off are far from my goal. I take this hobby very serious and it hurts to lose fish. As my knowledge grows I will succeed. Remember that every single one of you had issue when you first began. Please think of that before you act so elitist. Thanks and remember in asking help.

pcsb23
10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. I am here for help and this is how things are learned. It seems that my questions and lack of knowledge have caused me to be a target I guess. I'd suggest that you first understand that I am here asking for help not stating that I know everything or anything. I wanted opinions as if I were discussing how to perfect my aquariums. I read and read and continue to gain knowledge daily. Chopping my fishes heads off are far from my goal. I take this hobby very serious and it hurts to lose fish. As my knowledge grows I will succeed. Remember that every single one of you had issue when you first began. Please think of that before you act so elitist. Thanks and remember in asking help.Just take a moment to consider your response I have quoted above. You stated
Anyone else? I really want opinions., you received those opinions, for sure they may have been blunt and to the point, but not one was any form of attack on you. Your somewhat petulant response is therefore un called for.

Johnman
10-16-2014, 11:33 AM
I will definitely up my water changes and add my three little guys to the main tank. I now understand that the company of other discus will provide confidence. Li was wondering that from the beginning I just feared that my little scared ones would possibly startle the tank that's already doing well.

pcsb23
10-16-2014, 11:58 AM
As you have qt'd these that will significantly reduce any risks. Make sure they get plenty to eat as the larger discus may outcompete them for food.

Johnman
10-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks. I will update and let you guys know.