PDA

View Full Version : Hows Dallas folks here doing with Ebola scare?

dkeef
10-16-2014, 09:24 PM
just wondering how Yall are doing with ebola happening there.

tiSherman
10-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Doing fine what we need to do everyday ... Thanks

John_Nicholson
10-17-2014, 07:57 AM
It amazes me how people in this country will over react to anything. Ebola is not a huge threat in a country with modern medicine. Now today there will be a few hundred people die because they were texting and driving, but all the news wants to talk about is a hand full of people that have been exposed to Ebola. Don't get me wrong. I understand health care workers taking precautions but I was in far more danger today driving to work than I will ever be from Ebola.

-john

Ryan
10-17-2014, 10:10 AM
It amazes me how people in this country will over react to anything. Ebola is not a huge threat in a country with modern medicine. Now today there will be a few hundred people die because they were texting and driving, but all the news wants to talk about is a hand full of people that have been exposed to Ebola. Don't get me wrong. I understand health care workers taking precautions but I was in far more danger today driving to work than I will ever be from Ebola.

-john

Yes, thank you. Ebola is a concern but it's nothing to panic over. Those who've contracted Ebola in this country are healthcare workers who were treating an Ebola patient, and even then, they were likely infected because protocol was not being followed at the hospital in Texas.

Remember that three aide workers from Africa were transported to the US for treatment after contracting Ebola and they've all been released from the hospital already. There are two more, a patient in treatment in Atlanta and an NBC cameraman in treatment in Nebraska, who are improving and will probably be released soon. Nothing in the reports indicates that any healthcare workers at the Nebraska or Atlanta facilities have been diagnosed with Ebola, so those facilities must have been doing something right. The two patients treated in Atlanta were released at the end of August, and the man treated in Nebraska was released the first week of September. We're in the middle of October. It's safe to say that those people didn't spread the disease to anyone they came in contact with at the treatment facilities, or we'd have heard about it by now.

Discus-n00b
10-17-2014, 10:20 AM
I tend to agree John. The thought of a global epidemic virus take over Walking Dead style is scary, but the chances of it happening especially with a disease we've known about for years is slim. Its not something that snuck up on us. I do however think the response to this is lacking. If we can get in front of/ahead of this virus then there surely will be nothing to worry about. Problem is we are playing catch up right now and thats why you keep reading about it spreading. Bad diagnosis, bad practices at hospitals (Dallas), etc.

YSS
10-17-2014, 11:12 AM
This made me laugh! People in this country are always worrying and fighting about wrong things.

Discus-n00b
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I've seen that going around Yun, pretty amusing.

Miss_Fish
10-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I think it's the way you die from ebola that scares people so much.
Also, the only reason those other people were healed here in America, is because of a drug that is not even available right now; which is why the guy died here in Dallas.
The nurse who contracted it is actually in worse condition now so she is not out of the woods yet.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2797358/ebola-nurse-nina-pham-s-condition-downgraded-good-fair-transfer-specialized-quarantine-unit-chief-doctor-calls-trooper.html

I do think it's something to be aware of, and I don't think people are taking it seriously enough. (like the nurse who cared for the Ebola patient and then took a plane flight knowing she had a fever). Lots of selfish behavior resulting in the exposure to more people. I think that the nurse should be brought up on charges for doing something that stupid.
Not to mentian the CDC just changed the rules on what qualifies as a low risk and what doesn't; so clearly they are not even 100% sure of what they know.
I do not think that it's unreasonable to be afraid of Ebola; however you won't find me walking around with a surgical mask either.

Just saw that their was another nurse infected and she took a cruise.:confused:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/health/us-ebola/index.html

It's behavior like this that really could cause an epidemic; these workers should have stayed away from others for the 21 days required.
Now we have a bunch more people to monitor because of someone who just couldn't wait for that cruise.

It's not ebola by itself that is scary to me, it's the people like the nurses in this situation, who make such careless mistakes that freak me out. I really feel that if we want to beat this we need to take it more seriously.
IF anyone dies from these nurses exposing people I think they should be brought up on involuntary manslaughter charges.

Got to nip this in the butt before it does become a real problem.

rickztahone
10-17-2014, 08:43 PM
When I first started hearing about Ebola here in the US, the first thing I thought was, "now the US will probably become more aware of the Africa situation". It is a sad thing to think, but we tend to never give something a second thought unless it can potentially affect us. That is why I applaud volunteer workers who risk their lives to go and try to save people in these third world countries who fear Ebola LESS than many other diseases in their country like Malaria and other much more rampant diseases.

YSS
10-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I think that the nurse should be brought up on charges for doing something that stupid.

Wow!

Miss_Fish
10-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Wow!
You wouldn't? A plane full of people is at risk of contracting this virus due to her gross negligence. If her actions cost the lives of others why shouldn't she be held accountable for her actions?

YSS
10-17-2014, 11:24 PM
You wouldn't? A plane full of people is at risk of contracting this virus due to her gross negligence. If her actions cost the lives of others why shouldn't she be held accountable for her actions?

Are we burning witches too, now?

discgo
10-17-2014, 11:26 PM
There are plenty of opportunities to blame in this area. Not mentioned yet, is that too often some hospital administrators are more into presenting an image of competence than dealing with the realities of staff and patient vulnerabilities.

Miss_Fish
10-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Are we burning witches too, now?
I am having a hard time following you.

Do you mind elaborating on the similarities between killing and torturing innocent people for being mythological creatures, and having a nurse stand trial for putting the lives of innocent people at risk for not using her medical training?

Skip
10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
The nurse did ask if she could travel.they said yes..

But finally. .I read. They have told all the heath care workers to stop traveling. Seems smart. Little late..

Larry Bugg
10-18-2014, 11:04 AM
The nurse did ask if she could travel.they said yes..

But finally. .I read. They have told all the heath care workers to stop traveling. Seems smart. Little late..

The is absolutely correct. She called and told them she had the low grade fever and the CDC cleared her for travel.

While we should be aware, be prepared and be cautious, the media has blown this up way too much. What should be blown up is our Federal government and the CDC who certainly were not prepared and have done a horrible job of taking control of the situation.

YSS
10-18-2014, 11:10 AM
They have told all the heath care workers to stop traveling. Seems smart. Little late..

Ok, what's next? No one travels? Everyone with low grade fever is in QT? Walking a very fine line here.

Bill63SG
10-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Its all easy to speculate when it dosent affect you.My son got a job in Fort Worth and had the CDC at his shop Tues because one of his managers was on the same flight as the guy from Libiria.Now I know its a long shot,but Ive been reassuring his mom not to worry,Texas is huge,and then we get that call from him.Not that Im overly worried,but I didn't need that in my head.

Miss_Fish
10-18-2014, 12:20 PM
The reason I feel so strongly about the nurses actions is because having a fever while being observed for Ebola is a good sign that you might have ebola. She obviously felt the same way because she called the CDC to report fever. I suppose I agree that because the CDC let her go she shouldn't be held responsible for her obvious lack of good judgment. However the person who made the call to let her on the plane should be held accountable if anyone dies from this incredibly stupid decision.

"After authorities announced the 29-year-old nurse had been diagnosed with Ebola on Wednesday, they were quick to say guidelines weren't followed when she took the commercial flight.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?c=&page=1

If the CDC can admit that she should not have been allowed on a plane with a fever, I don't think that my statement is that outlandish.

When a doctor neglects to use his medical training and hurts someone, he is held responsible.
It's no different with the CDC, if they do not use the training that they've been provided, and they put people's lives in danger they need to be held responsible.

Miss_Fish
10-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Its all easy to speculate when it dosent affect you.My son got a job in Fort Worth and had the CDC at his shop Tues because one of his managers was on the same flight as the guy from Libiria.Now I know its a long shot,but Ive been reassuring his mom not to worry,Texas is huge,and then we get that call from him.Not that Im overly worried,but I didn't need that in my head.
I really hope that your son ends up being OK.

I live in Williamson County and currently we have one guy that is a UT student that is being observed for Ebola because he was on the same plane as the nurse, as well as two other people who are in Williamson County who were also on the same flight. So I totally understand having a real fear of this virus because it's literally in the same city as me.

I have a 9 year old daughter to think about and when you have children to consider you take things more seriously.

If I had gotten news that someone from my daughter's school was it risk for ebola because of the CDC letting that nurse on the plane, heads would roll.

I love my daughter more than life itself and anyone who jeopardizes her existence on this planet is going to deal with me CDC included.

YSS
10-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

YSS
10-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Here you go. More on Ebola Hysteria in the US:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-overreaction/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It's definitely out of control.

brewmaster15
10-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I'll be in the minority on this one Folks...I take Ebola pretty serious, call it the Biologist in me.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking that its all doom and gloom. And I do believe that John was in more danger driving to work (I've seen how those Texans Drive!Scary!:).

Far More people die from the seasonal flu virus each year and we have a vaccine for that, and Ebola has been around decades and is just now starting to show up outside its typical home range.. I followed the Ebola issue decades ago before most in the USA even gave it a thought. First time I heard about it was as an example of how animals act as vectors and reservoirs for disease.. Fruit bats carry this pathogen without getting ill and are thought to be the natural reservoir for it.

So why am I pragmatically concerned? Its not so much for what Ebola is today, but for what it could turn into given the right/wrong situations.

1) 21 day incubation period.. thats a big window. You can interact with alot of people and its going to get really hard to track them all down. Right now, a few cases its been challenging. Should we have more cases, it could really be challenging.
2) When ever a virus moves to a new area...its always possible for it to mutate. Ebola is a bad bug, but a mutated ebola could be worse.
3) Contaminated Blood supplies?, Does anyone know if blood supplies are being screened? My guess is if they are its new. So it makes you wonder if we will see cases crop up there. Theres a huge potential there as our advanced medical system relies on a blood supply. Even if one case happens this way, it may really impair our blood supplies.
4) Though transmission is considered more difficult and its not considered airborn... Consider this. This disease typically is a problem in 3rd world and developing countries...The lack of our medical care system there does help explain why its such a problem...treatment and advanced care make a huge difference. So that should mean that we have a far lesser chance of it becoming and issue here....correct? There is one thing though that concerns me... compared to where Ebola has historically been found, and the Developed Nations of the world.. you have a Potential for scenarios where large numbers of people could get sick ... WE call them restaurants. One sick food handler is all that it would take..
5) The natural reservoir is a Fruit bat.. and it can infect a human with it thru a bite... we have a whole different range of bats and other mammals here (yes.. bats are mammals) and this virus could get established here the same way it did in Africa, thru natural reservoirs in the animal population. It would not be the first time that this has occurred with a pathogen.

So am I panicked? No. Am I concerned....yes. But no more so than I am about the flu virus mutating to something far more lethal. Its happened before, and can easily happen again. So rather than panic I choose to stay informed and learn from this what I can. I do think its crazy how scared some people have gotten.. and I blame the media and unscrupulous companies. I have seen Ebola now being used by many survival prepper sites...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebola+preppers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

These sites feed off peoples fears and use it to market products....

Then theres financial sites... Gold and silver prices have been sagging as the dollar gains strength... so naturally these places that recommend gold and silver are playing the Ebola card now.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2546885-ebola-morbid-gold-catalyst

The sad thing is theres so much hype and histeria about it, that its become a joke in some quarters... and ignorance has been known to be a killer.

So thats my take on it. Not something I am losing sleep over, but I am watching carefully as I would any potential threat to my family.
-al

nc0gnet0
10-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Good post Brew,

However your missing one scenario in which Ebola could become a real crisis. We all are aware that there are certain terrorist organizations that would love nothing more than to disrupt life as we know it in the USA. To that end, they think nothing of strapping a bomb to themselves. What is to prevent these same people from purposely infecting themselves and then just simply mulling about the general population, restaurants, malls, movie theaters, airports..............

Before 9/11 we never considered the use of a commercial airline as a weapon. Perhaps this time we need to get ahead of the curve.

-Rick

brewmaster15
10-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Good post Brew,

However your missing one scenario in which Ebola could become a real crisis. We all are aware that there are certain terrorist organizations that would love nothing more than to disrupt life as we know it in the USA. To that end, they think nothing of strapping a bomb to themselves. What is to prevent these same people from purposely infecting themselves and then just simply mulling about the general population, restaurants, malls, movie theaters, airports..............

Before 9/11 we never considered the use of a commercial airline as a weapon. Perhaps this time we need to get ahead of the curve.

-Rick
Rick I wish I could say that your scenario could never happen but unfortunately its valid, troubling, but valid.:(
-al

nc0gnet0
10-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I wonder if this in anyway might be part of the reason for sending the military (which I could never understand) to Liberia? Are they thinking not only helping, but containing?

-Rick

John_Nicholson
10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
I am more concerned with Rick reproducing then I am Ebola.....

-john

YSS
10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Agreed, Al. Ebola, as well as other potentially life threatening diseases, is no joke. But when people start over-reacting and start restricting our freedom such as being held for observation because you have a fever or vomit on a plane (vomit bags are provided for passengers in the planes for crying out loud) or throwing people in jail, I have a problem.

nc0gnet0
10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

-john

Me too! But then you should also be afraid of........oh nevermind :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

musicmarn1
10-20-2014, 08:02 PM

-john

Lol!!!

Ryan
10-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Here you go. More on Ebola Hysteria in the US:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-overreaction/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It's definitely out of control.

It's really rich that CNN would run that article about overreaction, given that their news network is playing nearly wall-to-wall Ebola coverage with a giant, terrifying EBOLA OUTBREAK graphic behind the newscasters' heads.

YSS
10-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Good post Brew,

-Rick

Fortunately, Ebola experts (if they really are) at FBI and DHS have stated Ebola as a bio terror threat is very small and if carried out won't be effective.

It's really rich that CNN would run that article about overreaction, given that their news network is playing nearly wall-to-wall Ebola coverage with a giant, terrifying EBOLA OUTBREAK graphic behind the newscasters' heads.

Whatever you can do to get ratings....

But one thing for sure is that some people are going way over the top with this ebola thing ...

John_Nicholson
10-21-2014, 08:17 AM
CNN has a long history of misrepresenting the facts. They have an agenda and they use the "news" to push it down the throats of the uneducated/uninformed.

-john

YSS
10-21-2014, 09:24 AM
CNN has a long history of misrepresenting the facts. They have an agenda and they use the "news" to push it down the throats of the uneducated/uninformed.

-john

I all news organizations/media outlets are guilty. CNN is not alone on this one.

Skip
10-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Can we now agree the ebola shenanigans are over and CNN will have to go back to report on the Malaysian airlines....

YSS
10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Can we now agree the ebola shenanigans are over and CNN will have to go back to report on the Malaysian airlines....

Skip, couldn't agree more, but this is too funny not to share.

musicmarn1
10-23-2014, 12:41 PM
rofl!!!! :jester:

aalbina
10-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Miss_Fish,

Not to contribute to your apparent outrage at the medical profession and the CDC but are you aware that current estimates are between 220,000 to 400,000 annual lethal and contributory lethal preventable adverse events (PAE) in US hospitals due to healthcare provider error? Feel free to google the study done by a PhD researcher with no funding support or reported conflict of interest. Here's the reference: Journal of Patient Safety Volume 9(3), September 2013, p 122–128. Copyright: © 2013 by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins DOI: 10.1097/PTS.0b013e3182948a69 ISSN: 1549-8417.

I mean - if your going to be mad - you should be really mad right? I think it's likely that your perception of people being held accountable for causing harm in the medical profession is somewhat optimistic...

BTW this would make medical mistakes the third leading cause of death in the United States behind only heart disease and cancer.

Adam

Miss_Fish
10-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Miss_Fish,

Not to contribute to your apparent outrage at the medical profession and the CDC but are you aware that current estimates are between 220,000 to 400,000 annual lethal and contributory lethal preventable adverse events (PAE) in US hospitals due to healthcare provider error? Feel free to google the study done by a PhD researcher with no funding support or reported conflict of interest. Here's the reference: Journal of Patient Safety Volume 9(3), September 2013, p 122–128. Copyright: © 2013 by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins DOI: 10.1097/PTS.0b013e3182948a69 ISSN: 1549-8417.

I mean - if your going to be mad - you should be really mad right? I think it's likely that your perception of people being held accountable for causing harm in the medical profession is somewhat optimistic...

BTW this would make medical mistakes the third leading cause of death in the United States behind only heart disease and cancer.

Adam

Contribute to my apparent outrage? What about my posts indicated I was outraged? This thread is about the ebola scare, not about the safety of the medical field. If you have a personal issue with me feel free to private message me, as I have no interest in derailing this thread for your entertainment.

Have a great day.

Ken
10-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Hmmm, I live in the Dallas area, and both I and my wife work in the medical field.

I think this commercial says it all , just insert Ebola instead of C-diff
C. difficile causes 14,000 American deaths each year.

Washing Your Hands is an easy fix for Ebola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S05F8eS2j4

aalbina
10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
OK - sorry about that - outrage was a poor choice of words on my part stemming from your statement that "IF anyone dies from these nurses exposing people I think they should be brought up on involuntary manslaughter charges." I obviously misread that statement as you being outraged about their actions since the great state of Texas considers that a 2nd degree felony punishable by confinement in prison for a term of not more than 20 years or less than 2 years.

I don't think I'm derailing the thread, my comments are squarely on topic: the general thread topic about ebola in Texas generated a discussion about hospitals not following appropriate protocol, which are part of the reason medical mistakes occur and are included as part of those studied in the reference I cited.

I certainly don't have a personal problem with you (in fact I don't even know you nor you me) nor am I clear as to how one might jump to such a conclusion based on the quoted text below. I was, by the way, born in Texas so the title of your thread peaked my interest as well.

I'm sorry you read my post as insulting - it was not intended that way nor do I re-read it that way. Anyone who reads the study will be mad - and should be mad! Of the 220,000 deaths - I doubt that many of the facilities or medical personnel were held accountable. I imagine that had they been charged with involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide we would have seen a lot of coverage by news media... again - on topic.

Adam

Contribute to my apparent outrage? What about my posts indicated I was outraged? This thread is about the ebola scare, not about the safety of the medical field. If you have a personal issue with me feel free to private message me, as I have no interest in derailing this thread for your entertainment.

Have a great day.

Miss_Fish
10-23-2014, 03:44 PM
OK - sorry about that - outrage was a poor choice of words on my part stemming from your statement that "IF anyone dies from these nurses exposing people I think they should be brought up on involuntary manslaughter charges." I obviously misread that statement as you being outraged about their actions since the great state of Texas considers that a 2nd degree felony punishable by confinement in prison for a term of not more than 20 years or less than 2 years.

I don't think I'm derailing the thread, my comments are squarely on topic: the general thread topic about ebola in Texas generated a discussion about hospitals not following appropriate protocol, which are part of the reason medical mistakes occur and are included as part of those studied in the reference I cited.

I certainly don't have a personal problem with you (in fact I don't even know you nor you me) nor am I clear as to how one might jump to such a conclusion based on the quoted text below. I was, by the way, born in Texas so the title of your thread peaked my interest as well.

I'm sorry you read my post as insulting - it was not intended that way nor do I re-read it that way. Anyone who reads the study will be mad - and should be mad! Of the 220,000 deaths - I doubt that many of the facilities or medical personnel were held accountable. I imagine that had they been charged with involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide we would have seen a lot of coverage by news media... again - on topic.

Adam

Well I suppose we can just agree to disagree then. If you want my opinion on the safety of the medical field I would be more than willing to tell you, either in private messaging or another thread that addresses those concerns.
Unlike you, I do not see this extension of the conversation as being on topic with the thread.

aalbina
10-23-2014, 03:52 PM
OK - thank you. I think I will pass, however, on your offer to share your opinion if that's alright - but thanks for offering nonetheless. I appreciate you taking the time to respond here. Have a good day.

Adam

Miss_Fish
10-23-2014, 04:42 PM
OK - thank you. I think I will pass, however, on your offer to share your opinion if that's alright - but thanks for offering nonetheless. I appreciate you taking the time to respond here. Have a good day.

Adam

Not a problem at all, have a great day as well.

SMB2
10-23-2014, 06:56 PM
As a retired MD, I am not worried given the present circumstances, about a massive outbreak of Ebola in the US. Our initial medical response was not great, but if that patient had been in Atlanta or Bethesda I doubt there would have been cases in health care workers. It is unrealistic to think that the average hospital in the US applying routine isolation protocols would have been 100% successful in containing the virus. Now we know better.
But here is something to think about, just to keep the discussion going. I have been trying to find research to answer the following possible scenario. (I am not in a panic, just curious.)
We have followed Ebola since the 70s but still don't have a complete handle on possible vectors. There have been periods in Africa (up until now) where the virus seems to be quiescent, not causing new cases. It must have an intermediary host, even if it is lethal to that animal. Speculation has been that fruit bats and/or monkeys carry the virus and pass it to humans by droppings or bush meat. Perhaps there are other animal hosts.
In this hemisphere there is one place that is quite similar; with indigenous people that have little access to medical care, eat bush meat and have biologically similar hosts, Amazonia. Climate conditions, bat and monkey species are not dissimilar in central/south America. The spread of Ebola to any of these countries might be cause for alarm if it were at all possible for the virus to find similar host reservoirs.
Just wanted to see what other people thought or had read on the subject.

Miss_Fish
10-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Looks like it's in New York City now. I applaud the good doctor for isolating himself as soon as he was not feeling well. That's the kind of behavior I would expect from a trained medical professional. He knew that he needed to isolate himself unlike the incident here in Texas. It's nice to see common sense at work somewhere.

Ken
10-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Big pharma, Ebola Vaccine, Ready for Test, Sat on the Shelf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/health/without-lucrative-market-potential-ebola-vaccine-was-shelved-for-years.html?emc=edit_th_20141024&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=29322642

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Big pharma, Ebola Vaccine, Ready for Test, Sat on the Shelf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/health/without-lucrative-market-potential-ebola-vaccine-was-shelved-for-years.html?emc=edit_th_20141024&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=29322642
I read the entire article and there is some legitimacy to it. It's hard to blame the drug companies for not wanting to create a drug that they won't make any money back on. Corporations are bound to their shareholders; if I'm not mistaken they are bound by law to protect the financial interest of the company and to do everything in their power to increase profits for shareholders.

Morally it's completely corrupt, but this world is not governed by morality; so I wont hold them to a higher standard than everyone else.

I bet you anything that there is a cure for AIDS already, and they just don't want to put it out because of all the money they would lose from a cure.

It would be nice to see some type of program that allows people to donate to causes such as this. I think that if people knew they needed help, they would have been willing to help cover some of the costs.

YSS
10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
I bet you anything that there is a cure for AIDS already, and they just don't want to put it out because of all the money they would lose from a cure.

.... and cancer.

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
.... and cancer.
I wouldn't doubt it .