PDA

View Full Version : wigglers help

sholvey
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Hello, I discovered yesterday that I had some eggs on my intake tube of my community tank. This morning during my feeding I noticed some wigglers. I am not new to discus, but have never had a confirmed pair. It is weird because I have had the eruption and brilliant for about 8 months now and this is the fist from these two. (maybe that is normal, but I figured if they were to pair up they already would have). Anyways, they are in a planted community with 6 other discus and rummy nose tetras. My question is if they were to fully hatch and attach will they be okay in the community tank until I can move them? Also, after this round, should I relocate the pair to a 20 gal? This has caught me off guard, because I thought my water was non-conducive for breeding discus. Thanks in advance!

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w637/sholvey7/Mobile%20Uploads/20141017_085311_zpszo5txpuo.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/sholvey7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141017_085311_zpszo5txpuo.jpg.html)

rdiscus
10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Don't worry about those wrigglers, parents are still learning to get thing right for first time ... Yes you can move them to 20G

John_Nicholson
10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
There is about a 99% chance that the fry will be toast.....but I would not worry about that. Just setup a proper breeding tank and move the pair after the fry disappear. They should spawn back quickly enough.

-john

Larry Bugg
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
It is highly unlikely they will survive in a community tank. They will get picked off and eaten. If you want to try your hand at breeding then move them to a 20 with a sponge filter and heater. They should lay again in a week or so. If you haven't seen eggs before then the female probably wasn't mature enough to lay yet. Not really unusual. Some discus mature at 9 months and some at 18. As for having already paired off, that isn't really unusual either. Discus are not monogamous. They don't pair off for life. When a female matures and starts producing eggs then she will choose a mate from the available ones in the tank. Add another couple of males and she may very likely change another time.

RogueDiscus
10-17-2014, 10:35 PM
I'll be the one to chime in and say, you have to decide what you want to do. If you want to raise fry, then you'll likely need a separate tank for your pair to spawn in (20-40), and probably another to grow out your fry (55?).

Phreeflow
10-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Congrats!!