PDA

View Full Version : detritus worms

discus795
10-17-2014, 07:37 PM
I have heard a problem with detritus arises when the tank isn't cleaned enough or the fish are overfed. I feel like syphoning and 50% water change every other day should keep the tank clean enough. I feed 3 times daily. One protein and flakes twice and only as much as they can eat in a reasonable amount of time. I also rinse my filter pads(biofilters) once monthly. Any suggestions as to why I am having this problem or what I could do to help??? I have driftwood that gross a thin slime layer but nothing huge. Could the driftwood be causing this problem? Just to clarify these worms don't pose a threat to my fish? Could they indicate a bigger issue going on with my tank?

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
I'm not sure if this is being posted in the right section. May be more of a water quality issue. I have detritus worms free swimming in my tank water. I had an issue two or so months ago with them and I deep cleaned the tank, decor, and did large water changes daily. The problem resolved and tonight I noticed they were back.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
none

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
I have 60 gallon with 5 discus.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
I change 50% of the water every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Its been up for a year or so. Its bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
I do not have the means to age water at this time. The fish are thriving well.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph __7.5___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.