PDA

View Full Version : And then there were 9

Tankster
10-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I had an unfortunate loss today. My red scrib was fine this morning at 10:00, went outside, did some yard work and then back in about 2:30 to give them an FDBW treat. The scrib was still full color but dead and on my HOB pre-filter sponge. All the others are fine, showing no signs of illness or stress and eating like the little pigs they are. Best I can figure, he must have banged the glass, although there were no signs of a physical injury. Everything was, and is going so well, with the exception of this unexpected death. I went ahead and did my water change early, just after I removed him.

I am so bummed - this guy was just starting to color up and was going to be beautiful. *sigh, I'll just have to pick up 15 from Hans after I finish this grow out.

I know it's just a fish, but man, I felt so sad for this little guy :cry:

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Sorry Greg, we do get attached to these fish.
Pat

musicmarn1
10-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Awwww, that just plain sucks. im so sorry :( i can cull a sick fish, no problem, even my husband looks at me funny - but a healthy fish dying is just a darn shame.

Tankster
10-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks Pat and Marnie.
It was a shock and my stomach dropped to my feet when I saw the lifeless little guy. The odd thing is that the scrib looked perfectly normal, no darkening, no clamped fins, nothing at all to indicate he was on the edge of death and 4 hours later, dead... and other than being just slightly pale, still showing his color and patern. I am with you on the culling Marnie, I am probably even going to go so far as culling healthy fish if they don't make the display tank cut. (you never really know what you are going to get when you start with 2.5" fish) But this scrib had already put on just over an inch in 5 weeks and was starting to show his pattern and color. It was going to be a beauty! That is the hard part...

Disgirl
10-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Sorry Greg. With fish keeping we always have unexplained things, hope it doesn't happen again for you. And just keep up with the good care for the rest of them, they will do well!
Barb

dragon1974
10-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Well it happens. I had a few of them in the past that just dies. Everyone else in the tank was ok and eating. The one that hurt the most was my big bull of a blue leopard. Was good in the morning before I left for work. I fed everyone and he was in his tank with his mate and he ate like a champ, came back 8 hours later for a WC and boops, dead as a doornail. He gave me 2 big clutches and that morning he was looking to get lucky again LOL. Anyway, it will always hurt, cull or doa.

DISCUS STU
10-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Sorry for your loss. I had a beautiful Penang Eruption that went under similar circumstances. Healthy when the lights were turned off, and in the process of dying the next day, nothing I could do and no reason why. It's a true shame but it happens, and sometimes very suddenly.