PDA

View Full Version : Any body using seachem purigen media in HOT

Doug fir
10-20-2014, 01:06 AM
I trying out the purigen in my HOT 250magnum , using mesh bags and used all of the media from the 250 , used a plactic knife to feed it into the media container. See how it works no more carbon.

afriend
10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Doug,

The main problem when using Purigen in a bag is to get the water to flow thru and around the Purigen beads. They are quite small and tend to get bunched up and block the flow. The way to tell is to remove the bag after its been in the canister for a couple of weeks and carefully cut it open so that you can examine the beads. Since the beads turn dark when they have been exposed to water flow, look to see if some areas are dark and others light. When I tried it, there were channels where the beads were dark, but the major portion of the Purigen was still light colored.

OC Discus on the SD forum has accomplished this successfully using a stand alone Magnum canister. You might check with him. I saw a video of his once where the beads were nicely fluidized inside the bag.

I tried a PhosBan Reactor 150 on a QT tank that I set up recently. I used loose Purigen in the reactor, and cut up some bag material and placed it sandwiched between two sponges both top and bottom. It fluidized the beads nicely, although it let a few of the beads escape into the tank.

Heres a link to the PhosBan Reactor:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-18413-62113C-fish.jpg

Hope this helps.

Paul

OC Discus
10-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Doug,

I've had success with the Mag 350 using the 100 ml purigen pouches. They are placed around the micron filter loosely enough so the water flows through the media- it is not packed tight. You can see the contents of the pouches circulating as water moves through it. I use 4 pouches- about 8 times the recommended amount, because it is not a perfectly fluidized reactor. It is enough to do an awesome job of polishing the water for at least a month. I replace the purigen every month, recharge it, and save it for next month.

I trying out the purigen in my HOT 250magnum , using mesh bags and used all of the media from the 250 , used a plactic knife to feed it into the media container. See how it works no more carbon.