PDA

View Full Version : To sump or not to sump???

boydie
10-20-2014, 06:24 PM
I have 2 racks with 6 tank- 700x450x350. And I was thinking of hooking up a 4ft sump to each rack. One rack would be for my L nos and the other rack would house some discus pairs.
What are your thoughts on sumped systems for keeping discus.
Cheers Marty

Pelado
10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I am a newbie in the discusworld, however a sump is imho always a good way to go. A sump simples holds more filter media than a canister for example. I used to have a 500 liter saltwater tank with sump and refugium. The more extensive or better efficient the filtering process is, the cleaner is the water that will flow back into the tank. Simple as that and isn't that what we all strive for?
What do the experts say?

musicmarn1
10-20-2014, 08:36 PM
i have a few pretty simple sumps or wet/dry trickle filters. love the oxygenation and keeping equipment out of the tank. lots of room for biological media and mechanical filtration! i love 'em :D

crabbyreef
11-17-2014, 08:46 AM
I have found them to be versatile and great for hiding things from the main display tank. Between the filter sock, bio-balls and miracle mud, my display tank water is crystal clear.

-Mike

Second Hand Pat
11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi Marty,

I personally love sumps on my larger tanks. Since you are considering a sump for a rack of tanks I would suggest plumbing the tanks so you can remove a tank from the central system if needed.

Pat

KrisK
12-24-2014, 01:01 AM
A sump gives you the ability to add more water to your system volume and hide your equipment. More water volume can be used for higher stocking levels...

asteele.19
12-24-2014, 10:01 AM
you can never go wrong with a sump!

Larry Grenier
12-24-2014, 01:13 PM
+1

Hi Marty,
I personally love sumps on my larger tanks. Since you are considering a sump for a rack of tanks I would suggest plumbing the tanks so you can remove a tank from the central system if needed.
Pat