PDA

View Full Version : Fin damage after moving discus

Argentum
10-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

After a move between cities (4 hours drive) the discus settled in their new tank (fully cycled). The next morning I noticed that some of them have deteriorated tail fins. This tank was their previous home and was left stored in a wharhouse for a month, when I got it back the driftwood (silconed) was covered in white fungus. I disinfected the aquarium with bleach leaving it running over night, rinsed it once then filled it again and added some methylene blue and left it running for a day (OCD), then 100% WC again and it was ready for receiving the fish.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Tail fins damage

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Non

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60 gal, 5 adults 3 juvies

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

New tank

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

BB
7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __29___

- ph __7___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0- 10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p634/argentumblade/DSC02391_zps8caf40a1.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/argentumblade/media/DSC02391_zps8caf40a1.jpg.html)

This is the fish before the move
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p634/argentumblade/IMG-20141021-WA0014_zps324822f2.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/argentumblade/media/IMG-20141021-WA0014_zps324822f2.jpg.html)

My question is, Should I be worried/medicate or could this be caused by the stress and will go away with good water quality?

Second Hand Pat
10-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I would guess stress from the move and possible ammonia spike in the new tank. A 60 gallon is a bit small for five adults and three juvies. I would suggest large daily WC to help with the tail damage and handle a possible mini cycle in the tank. You really need a larger tank.

pcsb23
10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm less worried over the tank size than Pat ;) - but agree that clean water should be all that is needed. Keep a close eye on them though.

Argentum
10-21-2014, 11:44 AM
I would guess stress from the move and possible ammonia spike in the new tank. A 60 gallon is a bit small for five adults and three juvies. I would suggest large daily WC to help with the tail damage and handle a possible mini cycle in the tank. You really need a larger tank.

I remeasured the tank, it turned out to be 70 gallons, 60 gallon was a random approximation. Anyway, I will be building a 240 Gallon tank soon, so space will not be an issue.
I will recheck ammonia at the end of the day, to see if I have a mini cycle.
Daily water changes is my norm, I am still growing them out, theses are my discus and where with my friend until I relocated.

I was worried and wanted confirmation that this is not a serious infection and will go given proper care.

Thanks

Argentum
10-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I remeasured the tank, it turned out to be 70 gallons, 60 gallon was a random approximation. Anyway, I will be building a 240 Gallon tank soon, so space will not be an issue.
I will recheck ammonia at the end of the day, to see if I have a mini cycle.
Daily water changes is my norm, I am still growing them out, theses are my discus and where with my friend until I relocated.

I was worried and wanted confirmation that this is not a serious infection and will go given proper care.

Thanks

Thanks Paul, this is comforting :)