PDA

View Full Version : Water change with fish in the tank

torch
10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Is is ok to perform water change with fish in the tank?

1. Drain out 50% of water.
2. Adding enough Prime (dechlorinator) to condition 50% new water
3. Slowly adding new water directly from sink (New York City Tap water). Same tempature as the tank .

Can I do this with more than 50% water water change also? I assume this can be done as it would be too stressful to take the fish out of the tank to perform water changes.

nabilbb
10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Is is ok to perform water change with fish in the tank?

1. Drain out 50% of water.
2. Adding enough Prime (dechlorinator) to condition 50% new water
3. Slowly adding new water directly from sink (New York City Tap water). Same tempature as the tank .

Can I do this with more than 50% water water change also? I assume this can be done as it would be too stressful to take the fish out of the tank to perform water changes.

Yes, that is fine. I change almost 100% let's say 99.5% until the fish are flat on the bottom.
you should add prime that is enough for 100% even if you change only 50%you can't avoid stress for the fish when changing water

DonMD
10-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Yes, do not remove the fish when changing water. Take out what you want to change, then add same temp water with dechlorinator, and you're good to go. I've been doing that for years, no problems.

torch
10-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes, that is fine. I change almost 100% let's say 99.5% until the fish are flat on the bottom.
you should add prime that is enough for 100% even if you change only 50%you can't avoid stress for the fish when changing water

That's funny flat on the bottom.

nabilbb
10-21-2014, 05:08 PM
yes, and it is true

Tankster
10-21-2014, 05:16 PM

same technique here... flat on the bottom. Before I painted my tank bottom I imprinted a tape measure so now when I want to check my fish's growth, I just slide them over the top of the marks on the tank bottom.

Quintin
10-21-2014, 05:22 PM
50% in the morning 50% at night.grrr

Bill63SG
10-21-2014, 06:07 PM
You need to add enough dechlor for the whole tank,not just what you remove.

musicmarn1
10-22-2014, 12:35 AM
same technique here... flat on the bottom. Before I painted my tank bottom I imprinted a tape measure so now when I want to check my fish's growth, I just slide them over the top of the marks on the tank bottom.

Greg thats genius !!!! i HATE getting my fish out and have been wanting to measure them, thats really smart lol !

and good comment about the dechlor too good info.