View Full Version : Mixing active yogurt into food mix?

kris2341
10-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Hey guys, this just popped into my mind when i was staring at my bag of cobalt discus pellets on my desk, but has anyone ever tried mixing a live yogurt culture into their food mix?

With all this stuff about prepared foods nowadays being fortified with probiotics and aiding of digestion and whatnot, how about giving them some good yogurt mixed into a raw food mix especially since freezing only causes the culture to go dormant?

Maybe a bit of greek yogurt can add a bit of benefit to a mix? it is also a minor source of protein.

pcsb23
10-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Try it and see ... tbh I wouldn't simply down to the fact the water will cloud up pretty bad I'd expect. But if you are feeling adventurous ... :evilgrin:

kris2341
10-23-2014, 05:00 AM
I will probably give it a go for my next mix after these 2 bags are done.

Will just use a small amount thoroughly mixed into the food. Will probably work out a ratio when the time comes, probably will be on the order of a tablespoon or 2 per pound of meat mix at most and perhaps some gelatin or agar to limit the dissolution into the water.

bornlooser
10-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Probiotics in Yoghurt are good bacteria selected from thousands of strains that are thought to benefit the Human digestive system...they work by means of competitive exclusion...not sure whether the strain of bacteria in yoghurts will have the same benificial effect on fish....anyway, dont think its going to hurt the fish.....just my thoughts.

plecocicho
10-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Some germans have tried it. They smeared a thin layer of yougurt (it was the thicker one) on a piece of glass and gave them to Lamonichthys catfish which had some intestinel problems.

musicmarn1
10-23-2014, 12:45 PM
dairy products in water? lol im not convinced !

nc0gnet0
10-23-2014, 04:10 PM
While your at it toss in a piece of pizza, everyone loves pizza!

CliffsDiscus
10-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I did feed yogurt and bread to some of my whiteworms, until it got smelly. Whiteworm with yogurt and bread was used by Wattley and only fed to some of his best pairs.

Cliff

alcastro
10-23-2014, 05:40 PM
You can try whey protein powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcastro
10-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Only in a mix with beef heart it makes a good binder

kris2341
10-23-2014, 05:45 PM
You can try whey protein powder

I was also curious about this, mainly thinking about whether or not it is easily digested by the fish or would soy protein be better. But since BH and general lean meat seems to be sufficient for growth, i didnt bother pursuing additional protein sources and decided to look at other essential requirements.

Thanks everyone for the input so far! perhaps i can make a beefheart pizza and feed it to the fish LOL!

alcastro
10-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Soy is better got them confused , add wheat gluten