PDA

View Full Version : Crazy peppering

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/24/779996658c7c7fc5dff475f2c537a66d.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/24/f30aab80ea5e1bed8b63a57488ee66c2.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/24/8b3fd7a0899e54a0cc244c5a4b27762e.jpg

Rudustin
10-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes, I have seen this before. I actually owned a discus very much like this about two years ago. I bought it from a LFS. Rufus

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 06:42 PM
From the look of this do you think that if you bred these kind of fish together you could get a solid black fish with bright orange stripes?

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Also this fish was at the LFS as well.

Rudustin
10-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Miss Fish, I am not fluent in genetics at all. I am just starting to breed a pair. This fish or one very much like it has appeared on SD before. The veterans on here did condemn this fish for the peppering if I remember correctly. I am not condemning or approving because beauty is in the eye…..etc. I'm sure you will get a few replies on your question but I am totally out of the water when it comes to determining what you would get if you bred these two fish. Rufus

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Miss Fish, I am not fluent in genetics at all. I am just starting to breed a pair. This fish or one very much like it has appeared on SD before. The veterans on here did condemn this fish for the peppering if I remember correctly. I am not condemning or approving because beauty is in the eye…..etc. I'm sure you will get a few replies on your question but I am totally out of the water when it comes to determining what you would get if you bred these two fish. Rufus
Oh I didn't know someone else posted it. :o

I always knew the peppering was a bad thing, but I had never seen peppering so extreme like this. When I saw it I immediately started to wonder about the possibilities. I used to breed bettas pretty hardcore, so the idea of creating something new is always on my mind.

I have no intention of breeding discus anytime soon so though, it was really just curiosity. :)

Rudustin
10-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Well I had a discus over a year ago who looked very much like that one. It got quite big. Long story short I began to purchase discus from reputable breeders and returned the now grown discus to the LFS for a credit. I used to breed Bettas also.

John_Nicholson
10-24-2014, 08:10 PM
That is just an old school crappy PB. There was a time they all looked that way...LOL. Breeders have spent years producing high quality discus from crap like that...LOL.

-john

yim11
10-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Rick in 3..........2..............1...............

Miss_Fish
10-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Ok I think I get it now, so basically these are what pigeon bloods used to look like whenever they were creating the strain, and the ones without peppering are the end result?

I am sure these questions are probably very basic so I apologize for my noobness in the area of discus genetics. :)

nc0gnet0
10-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Rick in 3..........2..............1...............

LOL, what can I say? The fish is indeed cr@p.....lol.

John_Nicholson
10-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Yes PB's started out with lots of pepper. The reason that I complain so much when people make stupid crosses is because this is what you end up with lots of the time.

-john

nc0gnet0
10-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Yes PB's started out with lots of pepper. The reason that I complain so much when people make stupid crosses is because this is what you end up with lots of the time.

-john

Aren't you supposed to be in bed at this hour?

kris2341
10-25-2014, 12:03 AM
am I the only one that thinks this funky PB looks kinda cool?

I've never seen one that peppered before but I am new to discus so....

Would love to have it for the heck of it, but definitely wouldn't pay money for it.

Quintin
10-25-2014, 03:15 AM
I have had some of these and gave them away.I would not cull them but would not breed them either.if you really want to breed them cross it with a high quality albino discus.The plan is to eradicte the pepper not make it worse.Completely up to you.but i have only ever gt horrible pigeons and dont think ill ever get them again even if i was paid to do so they an eyesore to a tank if you ask me.that being said thier are some excelent pb fish if you get from good breeders.

nc0gnet0
10-25-2014, 07:09 AM
if you really want to breed them cross it with a high quality albino discus

And what would that do? You won't get any albino's in the F1, not unless the peppered fish is an albino intermediate.

Cabe
10-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Cool looking fish. ..

Larry Bugg
10-25-2014, 08:23 AM
am I the only one that thinks this funky PB looks kinda cool?

I

Sorry, think it is ugly also.

bluelagoon
10-25-2014, 10:12 AM
I used to have a discus with that old peppered strain.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x104/bluelagoon_02/nov07discus005.jpg~original (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/bluelagoon_02/media/nov07discus005.jpg.html)

Miss_Fish
10-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I used to have a discus with that old peppered strain.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x104/bluelagoon_02/nov07discus005.jpg~original (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/bluelagoon_02/media/nov07discus005.jpg.html)
It's not the peppering that I like it's how the peppering is so dense that it literally is making the fish look black with bright orange stripes. Is there no market for a completely black fish with bright stripes? Like a reverse tiger pattern?

kris2341
10-25-2014, 02:59 PM
It's not the peppering that I like it's how the peppering is so dense that it literally is making the fish look black with bright orange stripes. Is there no market for a completely black fish with bright stripes? Like a reverse tiger pattern?

I honestly would pay good money for something like that, but the pattern needs to be defined into REAL stripes before then. But that would probably mean getting discus that have a base black and breeding them, I am not sure how hard that would be because I have no idea how people choose fish for characteristics.

Miss_Fish
10-25-2014, 03:16 PM
I honestly would pay good money for something like that, but the pattern needs to be defined into REAL stripes before then. But that would probably mean getting discus that have a base black and breeding them, I am not sure how hard that would be because I have no idea how people choose fish for characteristics.
That's what I figured as well, I also would pay for a refined version of the fish above.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; as long as the color is kept away from regular Pigeon bloods, and is only used for the purpose of creating a new color, I think it could be a worthy endeavor. If only to stem curiosity.

I think that it's possible to fix this coloration if you spawned two fish that had the exact same kind of peppering; even better if they were siblings, and then you kept breeding for the black base and orange stripes.

Sure not everyone would like them, but lots of strains are disliked by people, and loved by others so it's not about that; at least not for me. :o

Quintin
10-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Sorry nc0gneto but i was under the impression that breeders are crossing PB with albinos to try lessen or get rid of peppering.i know you have breeding experience i do not only been in discus keeping for about year and a half.I would actualy like a strait answer to this.

Regards
Quintin