PDA

View Full Version : Radrew1 - Help With Fry

Radrew1
10-27-2014, 03:29 AM
I've been involved in Discus since 95 - 02, when I dropped because work work to much. I've started back up 6 months ago and saved all my equipment. (no internet back then)

I was breeding Discus back them although have forgotten how far I got. Now I'm breeding Cobalt Snakeskin and are having troubles. I also have several other pairs breeding and laying eggs as well.

Even though though after 1 week i put them in their own tank, every week 4-5 die off for no reason at all. All water tests show zero, and I started with with 125 fry. I am now down to 45 fry, and the first time I lost them all.

What am i doing wrong?

I change 20 % of the water every other day, and do not over feed.

Strictly RO water and temp is 88 - 92

Any suggestions?

Rudustin
10-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Radrew, A lot has changed since you left the discus hobby. Sorry that you are losing so many fry. Can you be a bit clearer about how big is the tank/s that you are putting the fry in? I can immediately say that the amount of water changes you are doing for fry or very young discus is not nearly enough. And I can tell you immediately that the temperature is too high and should be dropped to around 82-83 degrees. What are you feeding the fry and how often? You obviously are doing something very well to have pairs breeding so that is the first step to success. I know that many breeders eventually transition fry to aged tap water because RO doesn't have all the minerals needed to nourish the fry and clean water and lots of it are very important for the development of fry. Once you explain a little more I'm sure several very experienced members will come to your aid. Rufus

John_Nicholson
10-27-2014, 09:13 AM
First drop your temp to 82. Second change about 50% of your water daily. Third unless your tap water is super back use it on the fry instead of RO. Hell I use RO waste water for all of my non-breeding pairs and when their eggs hatch I switch them to it also.

-john